We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas/New Year in Kranjska Gora

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
239 posts
40 reviews
46 helpful votes
Christmas/New Year in Kranjska Gora

Hi

We are a family of 5 and we are planning a winter vacation next year and Hotel Lek Kranjska Gora has recommended to us but I have a few questions.

Firstly we will be travelling (possibly driving) from Graz in Austria as we are visiting someone there. Will this be a easy route to take in winter?

Our kids who will then be age 9,7 and 3.5 have never skied before. Will there be an opportunity for them to try skiing? I know snow in unpredictable but can we expect some snow?

Finally would you recommend Kranjska for Christmas or New Year celebrations?

Thanks

Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
7 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Christmas/New Year in Kranjska Gora

From Graz you can go pretty much all the way on the motorway. There are other, perhaps more scenic routes, but if there is snow then the motorways are your best bet as they are kept best clear.

As for skiing, well Kranjska Gora itself is at a relatively low altitude, around 850m, so there can be problems with lack of snow there. For example, the past 2 years, and this year it seems too, snow hasn't arrived until after Christmas.

However, as Slovenia is small, even if you were to stay in KG and there wasn't much snow, you can easily get to other ski resorts, either in Austria, or in Slovenia such as Vogel or Krvavec.

Its quite a small place but there are several hotels with water parks (Larix, Spik) which would probably be good for kids, and you could also make day trips e.g. to Ljubljana for the Christmas market.

Just recently I wrote quite a lot on my blog about Christmas/New Year in Slovenia, so I'm sending you the link and hope it may be of some help to you in your planning - https://adeleinslovenia.wordpress.com/

Višnja Gora
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
22 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Christmas/New Year in Kranjska Gora

hi

If you stay in hotel Larix you will have ski slope in front of the hotel. and it's just great for kids.

Other like Adelein write.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
239 posts
40 reviews
46 helpful votes
3. Re: Christmas/New Year in Kranjska Gora

Great thanks for your replies.

We are happy so stay on motorways and really want to experience Christmas markets either in Austria or Slovenia. Snow isn't essential for us but would be a great addition if we did have some.

We are looking at Hotel Lek but I will check out Larix and Spik.

Thanks again

4. Re: Christmas/New Year in Kranjska Gora

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2016, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Kranjska Gora