We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips without car

Which Ljubljana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
137 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
day trips without car

I wonder whether I can do the following day trips by bus (i.e. no rental car).

day 1: Lake Bled & Lake Bohinj. Would the bus schedule allow me to visit both lakes? Will it be too aggressive/rush that I don't have time to go up the castle or take a walk?

day 2: Postojna cave and castle (Or other nice cave)?

I try to look up the bus schedule from one the website, but there are many bus stations in Ljubljana and also Bled and I don't know which ones to pick.

Thanks.

Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips without car

LAKES BLED & BOHIN - Bus connections in Slovenia are good. Ljubljana Avtobusna postaja is a central station, click on the point.

http://www.ap-ljubljana.si/eng/#

To Bohinj you have hourly a bus, and back to Bled and to Ljubljana too. Both as a day trip to visit is possible. For visit mountain Vogel with a cable car is short you need min. 90min, bus stops 400m from cablecar station. To climb on the castle rock is also more as one hour minimum. For an island more. But now in winter you can skate/walk to the island...

From Bled you must catch the last bus at 21.30h!

Edited: 14 February 2012, 08:54
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips without car

On the bus schedule website the main one should be the first one listed by default. In Ljubljana it's called "Ljubljana avtobusna postaja", in other towns it's (usually) called whatever the town is called without any additional words.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
137 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips without car

Thank you for your information.

I will be going there in July, so I cannot skate to the island. I will have to row a boat there (or take a ferry?) :)

How much time do I need to go to the island?

I read that it is better to get the north part of Lake Bohinj and

take a walk (to the waterfall). In that case, which station should I get off in Bohinj and also how much time do I need to walk?

For day 2, is Postojna cave a good choice? Or you would recommend something else? How do I get from Postojna cave to the Postojna castle?

I have been to caves in other places like New Zealand and China. So if

there is other places that is more scenic or more interesting, I can skip

the cave too. Or you think this is the a must see place?

By the way, how much time do I need to tour around Ljubjana, is 1/2 day

enough?

Vipava, Slovenia
Level Contributor
932 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips without car

Hi Bunny!

Bled Island - Pletnas leave from various points around the lake, cost about 12euros return trip and they take you to the island where you can spend 30minutes looking around then they take you back, so hour and half needed there. You can also hire a rowboat and row where you want.

Bohinj - The main walking track is on the north side so yes, you would probably walk the north side until you reach Savica on the other side.

Just get off the bus at Ribcev Laz and cross the bridge to start the trail.

Predjama Castle - In summer there are shuttles between Caves and Predjama. If not, you'll have to grab a taxi. Check out the Caves website to see whether you feel it is worth seeing but they are amazing!

half day is more than enough to tour Ljubljana, they have tours that leave the Town Hall.

have fun, theres nothing stressful in your itinerary, its all easy.

Greg and Rona

Fermanagh
Level Contributor
186 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips without car

hi, sorry for piggy backing on someone else's post but i am going to Ljubljana this sunday for 2 nights & also hope to visit Lake Bled & whatever else we would have time to see. is it safe to walk/skate on the ice on the lake? How long would it take to walk across lake Bled to the island? Can you hire skates to skate across? Are the caves open at this time of year? Lastly, would i need to be wearing ski wear to stay warm or is the cold not too bad? Sorry for all the questions & thanks in advance for any replies!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips without car

Hello,

If you want to visit Bled lake and Bohinj Lake and return the same day back to Ljubljana it will take you a lot of time.

I suggest you taking a day tour and you can visit Vintgar Gorge and Skofja Loka too!

travel-slovenia.com/regular-daily-tours-arou…

It is also a very good deal if you take a half day trip to Postojna cave and Predjama Castle..

visitljubljana.si/en/…detail.html

Take care!

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips without car

While it is possible to do several things in one day the Tourist Bureau has day trips--though quite expensive--if time is short it is worth it. I am not a fan of tours as I like to go at our own pace--I have to say the tours we took to Lake Bled and to the coast were lovely. We spent two days on tours and saw quite a bit of Slovenia and did not feel rushed or that we were missing anything by being on a tour. With the train and bus station in one location it is easy to take day trips to Austria or Croatia from Ljubljana. We did take a day trip to Austria by train and that was worthwhile and interesting.

Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trips without car

Its no longer safe to walk across the ice on lake Bled. It has warmed up and we had some rain and some snow and its now quite slushy everywhere so definitely not to be recommended.

9. Re: day trips without car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 19:53