We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Verona to Ljubljana

Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Verona to Ljubljana

Hello all. Does anyone have information on this line? We are 3 mature couples travelling together and intend to obtain a global pass but were wondering what the expected length of this trip was. There is little info anywhere but I am possibly not searching in the right locations. Help wanted!

Vipava, Slovenia
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Verona to Ljubljana

Hi Nev!

The information is that there isn't such a line!

The Italians and Slovenians dont seem to agree that providing a decent train service between the 2 countries is a good idea.

You have to take a train to Gorizia\taxi to Nova Gorica and bus to Ljubljana

or

train to Trieste\bus to Sezana or Koper and then train to Ljubljana,

or

take a shuttle transfer via GoOpti http://goopti.com/

Hope that helps and have a great trip!

Greg and Rona

Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Verona to Ljubljana

Hey Greg and Rona. Thank you so much for you concise response. It is a tremendous help. I really appreciate it!

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Verona to Ljubljana

Agree with the comments above, its like a closed border still exists between Slovenia and Italy when it comes to train travel....when it comes to all other forms like bus, car, bikes, ships, even walking the 2 countries have never been closer!!go figure!! I just checked a similar transfer with Sixt Rent A Car and seeing you are 6 people ( six..sixt..no pun intended) they have 9 passenger minivans with driver for about €200 per van check it out.

info@sixt.si

Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Verona to Ljubljana

You can find trains on:

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en?

May be, from Venice is in combination with buses to Villach, where you have to take a train to Ljubljana!

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Verona to Ljubljana

I would still suggest train, Verona-Gorizia can be done with only one change and 3:20-4 hours travel time, then you just catch town bus from Italian part of the town to Slovenian (Nova Gorica), while Nova Gorica-Ljubljana is already an easy task. Or same idea, but Verona-Trieste, then bus/Opicina tram+taxi to Sezana and train from there to Ljubljana. And obviously rail pass for such journey is a waste of money, since full fare train tickets Verona-Italy/Slovenia border start from 18,3 euro per person + another roughly 10 for Italy/Slovenia border-Ljubljana part

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Verona to Ljubljana

Take a train from Verona to Venice Mestre and a bus from there directly to Ljubljana (Try www.drd.si for one bus company; I took this bus in 2009 and it was about 3.5 hour bus ride.). For six people renting a car in Verona, driving to Slovenia and returning the car in Italy might be a lot cheaper, though.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Verona to Ljubljana

Hi to all of us responding to this question from Australianev..its ny thought that sometimes we are more inclined to answer the question by the form of transport we like to use or know the most about, rather than realy taking the time to analize the question being asked. Verona-Ljubljana is not a day trip for them, returning back to Verona at night(at least I hope not!!) so its the reason I suggest a transfer by minibus. The question says 3 mature couples, meaning 6 adults all with luggage!! Using the train to the Italian border, than a city bus to rhe Slovenian side then a train again means hauling suitcases on and off trains and busses 3 times. Another mention was go up to Villach, Austria then back down to Lubljana, time wise its not logical, and the minute you touch Austrian territory on any train ride the ticket price becomes more expensive. Again have you ever tried lugging suitcases around city or local transport busses, trams, undergrounds..not a fun experience, its tough enough on our best IC trains. Just trying to be positive..any comments???

8. Re: Train from Verona to Ljubljana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:16