We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"How to" Sauna? Atlantis...

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
629 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
"How to" Sauna? Atlantis...

Hello!

We are planning a trip to Europe that will include 3 nights in Ljubljana. I've read about the thermal pools/saunas at Atlantis and this looks interesting to us; in the US we don't really have things like this...we have saunas, but they are usually very small, private, and situated within a spa for massages, etc.

So, if we were to go and purchase a 2 hour ticket into the saunas, "how" do you recommend spending this time? (The number of choices from the website alone is overwhelming!) And again, us Americans are not used to the lack of bathing suits...I'm aware you wouldn't wear them IN the sauna, and can walk around with a towel, but what about if you go swimming in the pools? I apologize in advance for sounding like an uptight American...;)

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "How to" Sauna? Atlantis...

D'ont feel bad very common question, felt the same way about 20 years ago when naked in a european mixed sauna. Usualy the 2 hours are a comination of sauna, cold pool bath, relaxing, maybe a massage, regular pool swiming where yes we wear suits!4 The idea of no suit is only within the sauna rooms and common rooms , the changing areas are seperate men and woman, and realy you get used to it in a metter of minutes. Youl find it odd when back in the states that people are wearing swim trunks insaunas and whirlpools!!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "How to" Sauna? Atlantis...

I visit Atlantis at least once a week and I like it a lot. It's one of my favourite ways how to relax and spare my spare time. Nudity in Slovenian saunas is so common/natural/no fuss/non-sexual that you'll feel weird in your bathing suits. Everyone, from really beautiful young people with perfect bodies to very old people with severe imperfections feels relaxed, nobody is staring or judging you.

The changing rooms are not separated, however, you may use closed compartments to change if you feel really uncomfortable.

Two hours is usually not enough, I recommend a 4-hour ticket.

There are some strict rules you have to follow:

- You cannot use phone or take pictures.

- Bathing suits are absolutely prohibited everywhere: in dry and in wet saunas, also in whirlpools and swimming pools. If you feel uncomfortable, you can use your towel everywhere but in a wet sauna (or inside the pools).

- You cannot use flip-flops to enter any of the saunas.

- You have to use a shower after using any of the saunas.

- In dry saunas the use of towels is obligatory. All parts of your body must be on the towel.

- In wet saunas the use of towels is prohibited. You do have to clean the seats with the hose provided before and after visiting sauna.

- Any kind of intimate contacts are strictly prohibited.

Throughout the day there are several health/relaxation programs. Several times a day you can use mud/chocolate/honey therapy in one of the wet saunas. At 18.00 and at 20.30 I highly recommend the "swirling-air" therapy in the outdoor panoramic sauna.

I usually start with one of the hottest dry saunas (15-20 minutes, 90 deg C) and then cool my body in the cold pool. There's a very nice cave with a warm whirlpool at the end of the cold pool. You should spend at least 15-20 minutes outside the sauna to cool down properly. Then I usually visit one of the wet saunas, relax, and repeat the procedure. With time you won't be able to stand the heat for a long time anymore. After 4 hours I am usually able to stay only 7-8 minutes in one of the hot saunas.

You can also have a massage or have something to eat.

Edited: 14 May 2012, 23:18
Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
629 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "How to" Sauna? Atlantis...

Thank you for the replies! This is great information and gives me a better idea of what to expect. We are looking forward to it!

4. Re: "How to" Sauna? Atlantis...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 01:41