We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ljubljana car rental

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ljubljana car rental

Wanting to hire a car in Ljubljana in early June and travel ending in Split 2 weeks later. Any recommendations on who to rent from considering the drop off is in Split .

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ljubljana car rental

All larger rent-a-car companies have their branch office in Ljubljana as well as in Split and drop off in a different location shouldn't be a problem, they will charge you extra for it though.

If it was me, I would contact different car rental offices in Ljubljana, compare the prices and choose the least expensive company.

Some of the car rental offices in Ljubljana:

http://www.hertz.si/?podrocje=5

www.avis.si/default.asp…

budget.si/budgetonline/…rental_locations

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
36 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ljubljana car rental

Hi, did you figure out the best way to do this? We are looking for a similar rental in September. I'd love any advice you can give.

Mimi

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ljubljana car rental

Ok so I usualy look at www.kayak.com and checked for 2 weeks in June and a compact car works out toabout 800 dollars. Sixt rent a car and Dollar Thrifty are offering the best rates. You real have to study how a 199 weekly rate turns out to average 400 dollars a week! Both are charging drop off fee which is fair at about 250 dollars and you have the VAT tax of 20% so thats about 160 dollard. Hope that helps and I can tell you book asap as cars are rare here in Central Europe!4 The price was for an Opel Corsa about the same size as a Ford Fiesta or Chevy Cruze

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ljubljana car rental

thanks for your help cheers

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
36 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ljubljana car rental

Thanks. Yikes!

singapore
Level Contributor
59 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ljubljana car rental

I recently rented a car from Sixt. Pick up at Ljubljana and return in Portoroz. Few hours after pickup, the OBD indicator lighted up and stayed on throughout. Concern about the safety and reliability of the vehicle, I called them and emailed the detailed problem description as well as picture to them as per requested while I was in Bled.

I was told they would send a rep. from Ljubljana airport and do a 1-to-1 exchange of the vehicle the next morning. However, I did not hear from them again. No calls, no email replies whatsoever. Very disappointed with how they treated their customers.

Besides that, the fleet of vehicles I see at their Ljubljana stop is nothing like what is shown online. My polo was changed to a Opel Corsa (same vehicle class). Even for the higher class, I did not see any GOLF lying around. My manual car was swapped to an auto car. The GPS is inbuilt into the car and very distracting to see while driving as it was nearer to the gear stick then front window.

Bad experience overall for me. Good luck with your search!

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ljubljana car rental

Unfortunately what our friend from Singapore is saying above is true, as I was living in Piran lat year and the overall situation in the coastal area of Portoroz, Piran, Izola and Koper was pretty poor rent a car wise. Avis has closed both its Portoroz and Koper branches, only Sixt remains and everything else is done from Ljubljana! The situation unfortunately is not all to blame the rental companies as banks in Slovenia have realy tightened the screws for lending money to renew car fleets!! Europcar owned by Volkswagen group has a pretty good monopoly as they supply from their own factories..Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda, so no finance problems but they know it and therefore have some of the highest rates to rent, but when reading a story like above it may be worth the extra Euros!!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ljubljana car rental

So I just booked a car from Kemwel.com (same as "Auto Europe"). Got a sales rep that picked up on the first ring, and booked a car (mini-style, manual transmission) for 11 days from LJU (Avantcar) for $221 USD including all taxes and fees except for a 36 euro road tax. Awesome! (Now let's just hope that everything goes smoothly when I get it.)

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ljubljana car rental

To Perdenosi..just curious because we were talking about drop off fees in the above posts, your rental for 221 USD is a Ljubljana pick-up and a Ljubljana return also?

New orleans
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ljubljana car rental

I rented from avis. It has a pick up at the grand union hotel in the old part of town, which is very convenient. My rate for 2 days for a car to hold 5 persons was $221 US.