We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ljubjana to Bolzano by Car

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ljubjana to Bolzano by Car

Hello. Feedback on this driving route would be appreciated.

ViaMichelin gives us an interesting route to Villach, Kagenfurt, passing by Cortina D'Ampezzo before heading south back towards Bolzano. (We have driven from Bolzano to Innsbruck in the past so I know the last stretch of wide open highway)

My question: Any opinions on this driving route and things to see and do along the way ?

Best Regards

GG1HI

Mentioned in this post
Villach
Villach
Carinthia, Austria
Cortina d'Ampezzo
Cortina d'Ampezzo
Province of Belluno, Italy
Bolzano
Bolzano
Province of South Tyrol, Italy
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ljubjana to Bolzano by Car

I did it a year ago and I didn't like it. It took about 5.5 hours, I had to buy the Austrian vignete, most of the rows were local and I had to respect rather low speed limits. The drive was rather scenic though.

I returned via Verona and Venice. Although the distance was about 150 km longer, it was much faster and the driving was easier.

Mentioned in this post
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ljubjana to Bolzano by Car

Thank you J. This helped a lot and we will not do this drive.

We have approximately 5 days in the Ljubjana area. Although we have been in most all areas of the Alps this will be the first visit to the Julian range. We are sports outdoors minded. Instead of heading to Bolzano we will most likely stay in Lake Bled and perhaps Bovec one night each as we work our way out and back to Ljubjana. Just now trying to figure out the activities we want to do and the best itinerary for this. Any other suggestions you may have would be appreciated. Whitewater rafting, kayaking, hiking and biking will be on the itinerary and I am fascinated with the idea of riding in a car while on a flat bed train car. Again, just now trying to piece this together. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Bolzano
Bolzano
Lake Bled
Lake Bled
7,445 Reviews
Bled, Slovenia
Bovec
Bovec
Slovenian Littoral Region, Slovenia
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
204 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ljubjana to Bolzano by Car

Bovec is THE place for kayaking - up to grade 5 rapids. Other activities in Bovec area: canyoning, rafting, caving, zip line. There is DH bike park there as well, but unfortunately the lifts are not working, so you have to bike all the way up. There are numerous biking and hiking paths around Bovec as well. Bled is also very nice, more touristy, if you are interested in outdoors I d sugest lake Bohinj over lake Bled.

Mentioned in this post
Bovec
Bovec
Hawaii
Level Contributor
41 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ljubjana to Bolzano by Car

If you want outdoors sports, you might want to consider cutting your time in Ljubljana short and staying in Bovec. The great hiking, rafting etc, is really in the area of the Soca river valley.

Once you get to Ljubljana, it will take a lot of time to access the Julian alps. The driving distances look short, but take a very long time due to very narrow, twisty roads and lots of cyclists during the summer.

Mentioned in this post
Ljubljana
Ljubljana
Upper Carniola Region, Slovenia
Bovec
Bovec
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
204 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ljubjana to Bolzano by Car

It takes less than 2 hours to reach Bovec from Ljubljana if you take Predil pass ( Lj - kranjska gora - ratece - italy - passo predil - bovec ). If you choose to go via Vrsic pass it might take 15 minuts more if you do not make any stops. However since this road is very scenic it would be a shame not to stop, so you might need an extra hour to reach Bovec. But it will be worth it. Predil road is very scenic as well, so you will be tempted to stop here as well:-)

Mentioned in this post
Bovec
Bovec
Ljubljana
Ljubljana
Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ljubjana to Bolzano by Car

Thank you all for this information.

We have been to Bolzano and Alpi de Susi so I am glad I received this feedback and will concentrate our stay in a loop that includes Ljubjana, Karst, Soca Valley and Bled and not be concerned about working our way back to the Italian and Swiss Alps. So much to see and do and we did cut a day out of Ljubjana to stay in Bovec; and yes, Lake Bohinj looks great too. The last nights in Lake Bled precede our long flight home that begins at LJU. Really looking forward to seeing and experiencing this area. Regards.

Mentioned in this post
Bolzano
Bolzano
Soca Valley
Soca Valley
63 Reviews
Bovec, Slovenia
Bled
Bled
Bovec
Bovec
Lake Bohinj
Lake Bohinj
978 Reviews
Bohinjsko Jezero, Slovenia
Lake Bled
Lake Bled
7,445 Reviews
Bled, Slovenia
7. Re: Ljubjana to Bolzano by Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 06:17