We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Piran or Verona

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
462 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Piran or Verona

I am arriving in Slovenia on Friday for a wedding and am currently spending 5 days in Slovenia and 4 days in the Venice region. I had hoped to take a ferry from Piran to Venice but the ferry in not runnin on July 4th so I will now be taking a train from Trieste. I am scared to rent a car because I heard roads are not well marked, drivers are allegedly agressive and I don't speak the language. However, it seems like it will be difficult to see everything without a car in the time period that I have. After Bled I had intended to goto the capitol, Lipica, the castle near there, the cave near there and Piran. However, if I cut out Piran I can travel a day earlier to Italy and see Verona. Which do people suggest: verona or Piran? Piran looks quite pretty but does it have enough for an entire day? On the one hand I would like to see everything on my list for Slovenia so that if I don't get back there I know I have seen what I wanted. But, I just don't know if it is worth skipping Piran in favor of Verona. What sights do people suggest in Piran and how much time does it take to see the sights?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Piran or Verona

If you have limited time in Slovenia, and want to get the most of your visit, renting a car will save you alot of time that you would otherwise spend (waste) waiting for public transportation, which is not that great in Slovenia. Driving in Slovenia isn't that bad. There's alot less traffic than you are used to, and if you pay attention to the signage, you do get to your destination. Never had a problem with the language as many do speak English.

Piran (and nearby Potoroz) are lovely places to visit. Makes for a good day. (I actually left my rental car there and took a bus to Trieste) Try to avoid going there on weekends if you can. As far as Piran vs. Verona, I guess it will come down to a personal choice.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 14:55
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
462 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Piran or Verona

The train from Trieste to Verona leaves around 9AM so I am not sure if I would be able to leave a rental car in Piran and make it to Trieste for the 9AM bus. Do you think it is possible?

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Piran or Verona

Verona even the balcony is not that exciting!!! so just stay in Piran you are trying to make way to many trips out of your 5 days trust me!!!

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
462 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Piran or Verona

Hello. I just saw your message. I went to Piran and spent 3 hours there walking around, looking at the view and having pizza. I saw a castle from the distance but the locals didn't know anything about it so I didn't stop. I am glad that I didn't book a hotel room there because 3 hours was more than enough for me.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Piran or Verona

Gee thats probably the saddest comment I read about Piran!!! If you were realy there the main square has a gigantic tourist information office who could tell you about the castle in the distance, but anyway hope you come back one day..and talk to the right people!!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Piran or Verona

I spent two nights in Piran last September. Charming, beautiful town! I would recommend it to anyone.

7. Re: Piran or Verona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 23:18