We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer crowds in Piran? Koper?

Which Piran hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
80 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Summer crowds in Piran? Koper?

Hello,

We'll be traveling from northern Italy to Slovenia in July and beginning of August. We'll be coming from Trieste and thought we'd start our time in Slovenia in either Koper or Piran. I've started becoming worried about both places being too crowded, especially due to cruise ship tours. Am I wrong about this? Do you think one of the two towns will be less crowded than the other? Thanks!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer crowds in Piran? Koper?

Cruise ships stop in Koper. Unfortunately Koper is a bit underwhelming. You should see Piran, it won't be too crowded.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
204 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer crowds in Piran? Koper?

Both are very likely to be crowded, but crowds are usually not overwhelming in either town. Koper has changed a lot in recent years and has become aa very pleasant town. I'd say that Piran is more touristy, while most would say also more picturesque, I find Koper equally beautiful. If you plan to swim in the sea Piran might be a better choice, as Koper is too close to industrial port. I am sure you will not go wrong choosing either town, could you do both?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
80 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer crowds in Piran? Koper?

Maybe...I'll try to fit in both. Thanks!

Vipava, Slovenia
Level Contributor
938 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer crowds in Piran? Koper?

Hi,

It's best to avoid Piran on the weekends in the summer, especially if you are driving your own car!

Izola is a nice coastal town and has a lot of good restaurants!

Greg and Rona

7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer crowds in Piran? Koper?

Piran is a gorgeous little gem - beautiful and romantic, with one of the best central squares in Europe.

Also recommend Rovinj if you have time - barely an hour south of Piran, and well worth the trip.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer crowds in Piran? Koper?

I want a few quiet days on the coast week of 18th of August. Would you recommend Izola or Rovinji over Koper or Piran?

On a practical travel note, I'll be travelling from Ljubliana on Monday 18th. Is there a good public transport link from Ljubliana to these destinations?

Many thanks for your help.

7. Re: Summer crowds in Piran? Koper?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 06:16