We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest in August?

Seville
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest in August?

Hello,

I was thinking of coming to Budapest around 10 august for a few days. I have seen the cultural stuff before and wanted to return but want to know if the city is alive and fun at that time or dead. I mean...how is the nightlife (for people around age 30), are there a lot of people in the city, etc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
295 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest in August?

August in Budapest is terrific.

It will actually be a bit easier for you to get around since many locals will be on holiday. Having said that, Budapest is still a city of more than 2m people so the evenings are packed with things to do. The warmth brings our the cafe culture so hit the central 5th district especially in around the US embassy, basilica and the streets around each. Liszt square is also tops for outdoor food and drink and dont leave out some of the gems on the Buda side. Cafe Negro, Tom-George, Pomodoro, Iguana's, Karma, La Fontaine, Lou Lou, Bagolyvar, Remiz, Jardin de Paris, Nanci Neni and others...try them all for food and drink.

For clubbing hit the places on the old "shipfactory" island in the middle of the Danube from the 3rd district. Also the Moulin Rouge dance club on Friday night is a must.

There are dozens of girlie bars in Budapest and AVOID all but a few. Halo Bar and Marilyn's in Pest and the candi bar in Buda. Try ANY of the others or listen to taxi driver's advise at your own peril.

The only drawback is that Budapest can get VERY hot in August. 40 Celsius is not uncommon

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,014 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest in August?

Hi neop23,

I am in my 30's and have lived in numerous cities. Budapest's night life is really fun! There are bars and clubs for every like (seriously - you can get yourself in trouble here with no problem!)

I don't know your tastes but August is a great month to come. It will be nice and warm and maybe a bit less traffic because of the locals leaving the city for holiday. But, no worries, everything remains open for visitors and locals alike ot have a great time.

There are various spots around the city with fun clubs and pubs. Look up Doc's (disco/club) on Hajogyari Island (in the city) for some great scenery and Liszt Ferenc ter (almost city center) for lot's of people watching.

Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Jeremy

Hungary
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest in August?

8-15 August Sziget Festival:

http://www.sziget.hu/festival_english

sziget.hu/festival_english/photos/films/2006

Great event, don't miss it.

4. Re: Budapest in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 08:30