We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Budapest Airport to downtown

Windsor, Ontario
Level Contributor
2 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from Budapest Airport to downtown

We have to find our own way from Budapest Airport to a River Cruise ship on the Danube. Probably docked somewhere near downtown. We know no Hungarian and have heard horror stories about getting on the wrong train ! So what taxi company can we trust?

Any advice appreciated.

Joan - Canada

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Budapest Airport to downtown

There is an official taxi company at the airport - Fő Taxi. They are trustworthy and charge a fixed rate. It will help a good bit if you know which dock your cruise starts from, some are on each side of the river and the information about which is where may not be common knowledge to the driver.

The full range of options for airport transport is described in detail in a Top Question listed among those at the top right of the forum main page. It's a subject that elicits lots of tastes and preferences, and of course ultimately you should be guided by your own, aided by the information you can glean here.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Budapest Airport to downtown

The response below is from a very current thread. Another current thread has an account of using the shuttle bus with excellent results. Less expensive for one person, but i am not sure it is less expensive if there are two of you. You might want to look into it.

2. Re: Getting from Airport to central Budapest

Oct 31, 2011, 10:43 AM

There are four options that I can think of. Public transportation, which I think is more trouble than it is worth given the cost of a Taxi, a Taxi and two forms of private Drivers. I think the Taxi makes the most sense.

I have always hired a Driver to pick us up. Before the airport was renovated this worked out pretty well. Now with the renovations and the new rules the drivers have to park about 150 yards away down a set of exterior steps. You can make the walk with the driver (bags in hand) or you can stand on the curb for 10 minutes and wait for him to bring the car. I promise that in less time you could be in a Taxi and be on the way to your destination. Walking or Standing at the airport in November, December, January, February and March for that matter can be a chilly experience (remember you dressed for the plane, not outside world).

The airport taxi contract is with a company called FoTaxi. They wait right outside the exit door from the terminal and always have plenty of pretty good looking cars available. The process is easy as they have a kiosk that will be sure the driver knows where to go. The rate depending on where you are staying is about $25 into town (try and touch that in any US city or London or Rome or ….. ) and they will give you a discount voucher for the return trip.

The last time we were in town (June) we used the taxi and things went very well. His English wasn’t perfect but it got the job done. Oh, and our address looks easy on a map, but with one way streets and narrow lanes it can be a bit of a chore to approach. He maneuvered around the Jewish Festival that was going on and hit the destination dead on. I couldn’t be more impressed.

The driver is still and option and in December we will call him because we will be traveling with a lot of household goods for our place in town and the gentleman we use has a couple of vehicles to choose from, one being a very nice van.

Some people feel more comfortable having someone with a name sign waiting for them; and we have been there as well. Still kinda nice. Does it make good sense? Not really. The distance from the door out of the secure baggage area to the front door to the airport is something like 40 feet. It’s not like you are going to get lost or benefit much with help with the luggage. At JFK, maybe; Budapest, no. The drivers will generally wait for you no matter how late your plane is, and at no extra charge (they usually claim). But guess what? The FoTaxi at the curb is waiting for you too. Also at no extra charge.

Now here we are going to get into some semantics. In my world there are “Drivers” do nothing but contract work. We use to call them Chauffeurs. Sometimes they are independent and sometimes they work for larger companies; this is what we use. Then there are Independent Taxi Drivers who come when called. Apparently, in Budapest they are also called “Private Drivers”. In one you get picked up in an unmarked car and the other you get picked up in a Taxi. There may not be any great difference in the quality of the car, I imagine it varies widely, but if you are going to ride in a Taxi I would suggest you pay Taxi rates and save the 150 yard walk in the wind and the cold.

Here is more on taxis tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274887-c167515/Budap…

Windsor, Ontario
Level Contributor
2 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Budapest Airport to downtown

Thank you .. Cruise Line will provide info on location of ship.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Budapest Airport to downtown

Looks like for two people the Shuttle will save you $3.00. Just a personal preference but I would take a taxi. If there is three of you I think you will save money in the Taxi. And the Taxi is direct while the shuttle hits several drop locations. But again, you really cant do wrong. Budapest is fairly easy to navigate and nothing is particullarly expensive.

Have fun.

5. Re: How to get from Budapest Airport to downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2012, 04:18