We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malev Update

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Malev Update

I just spent two hours on the phone with Delta and KLM/AirFrance. This is the little I could find out. Delta was literally no help. First person told me they could only quote what was on their schedules and it didn't feflect any changes. The second person told me "it was against the law" for them to divulge who the contract carriers where. This despite the fact their web page lists who that is for the flights between LAX and PHX, and used to list Malev in Europe.

KLM/AirFrance at first didn't know what I was talking about. After they came to understand Malev was not the airport but rather one of their sub-carriers they looked further and told me AirFrance out of CDG was flying Airbus 320's to B-pest. I don't know how they can make any money doing this.

Then they told me that KLM was in fact flying their own 737's out of A-dam. I had to ask where they got all those planes that don't seem to show up on their inventory. Then they put me on hold. When they came back they admitted they had an e-mail from "corporate" that said these flights were being handled by alternate means and that "some re-routing" might be required. For all I know that means you could be flying Kasakhstan Air via Kiev to get to B-pest. Anyone else with any fresh info?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malev Update

View the video...some will laugh, most will cry or pound their fists.

http://www.xpatloop.com/news/69357

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,808 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malev Update

There are a number of airlines flying the AMS/BUD and BUD/CDG routes. However, they are not all non-stop flights. KLM does fly the AMS/BUD route and AF flies the BUD/CDG route. I checked both carriers when I was researching my trip for May. However, Malev was the cheapest carrier in the market and their flights were non-stop.

If you booked your flights on the DL website as a through or multi-city ticket, your itinerary should show the operating carrier. In all probability it will be either KLM or AF as they are in the same alliance (SkyTeam) as DL. Malev however was a member of the OneWorld alliance and even though DL probably had a ticketing agreement with them, they were not one of their preferred alliance partners.

In any case, if you did book your tickets on the DL site as a through or multi-city ticket, it should be their responsibility to either refund the entire ticket or make alternate arrangements. If however, you booked separate tickets on your own, it's going to be up to you to find another means of getting to/from BUD as well as getting the Malev tickets refunded.

Edited: 04 February 2012, 19:26
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,673 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malev Update

I can't speak for the past few months, but in my experience KLM and Air France and British Air have all flown codeshare with Malev into Budapest and each of these has involved equipment from each airline ... generally, one flight each way each day operated by each carrier or something like that, with all flights being codeshare for both carriers

the net result is that it seems the Malev equipment is not part of that mix any more, which means that at least half, and perhaps all, of the flights need to be covered or cancelled ... because winter is a slow season, most of the airlines have additional planes not flying at present and with the will and the demand could fill the empty slots ... it remains to be seen how they will respond

and then there is the question of whether the budget carriers will be offered slots to fill in the void more cost effectively (and in Terminal 2) than in the past -- one after another of them stopped flying to Budapest or cut back, claiming that the fees were unaffordable; now they all are announcing lots of new flights, but it isn't clear whether they have negotiated the slots from the airport

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malev Update

As of yesterday evening, BA still had its usual 3 flights/day LHR-BUD for tomorrow. All were listed as operating, and carrier was listed as BA. Looks as though those will be continuing.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,808 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malev Update

Malev only had 2 flights a day from AMS/BUD. However, besides KLM, they were the only airline flying this route non-stop and were definately a lot cheaper. There are still numerous options available on the AMS/BUD route. Unfortunately, the only non-stop option at this time is KLM, all others do require at least 1 stop.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malev Update

Understood. Just for people coming from the US that LHR-BUD stll flies. Not LCC, but is still there.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malev Update

If you go to today's Budapest Sun you will find at least 6 pages on this topic. The bottom line is that NO Malev planes are flying despite what any airline website might tell you. This is financially and legally not possible. Your BA flights will be on some unknown carrier...something I prefer not to do.

Short term: I think the only people that will have huge problems are those holding a ticket from UK or western Europe. The transcontinental carriers are on the hook to get US and other connectings to B-pest. Wizzair has offered to pick up the slack on the Malev tickets, but if you read the fine print, they are charging extra for everything except...perhaps...the WC and the oxygen. This means you will have to pay again for all the things you would have gotten on your Malev flight.

Mid to long-term: It looks like the big carriers are going to have to make a deal with the devil. If you are coming from the US, it looks like you will be stuck with Ryan or Wizz or perhaps the Norwegians. So now the US fliers will be forced to submit to the same cattle car treatment the Europeans so avidly embraced.

http://budapestsun.hu/

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,808 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malev Update

"Your BA flights will be on some unknown carrier...something I prefer not to do."

The BA flights will be flying as they were operated by BA, just as the KLM, Air France, Lufthansa, Brussels Air, etc, flights will be operating. Contrary to what seems to be a general misconception, not all flights to BUD were operated by Malev. In fact, thre have been and still are a number of carriers operating to BUD.

In addition to a large number of indirect flights, there are non-stop flights operated by other carriers out of a number of the major European airports. For example, BA has 3 nob-stops a day out of LHR, Air France 4 a day out of CDG, KLM, 3 a day out of AMS, Lufthansa, 3 a day and Air Berlin 2 a day out of FRA and Brussels Airlines 3 a day out of BRU. These are not code shares operated by LCC's but are all operated by the named carriers. Everyone of these carriers is partnered with a major US carrier in some way and therefore can and would be sold as one ticket on flights coming from the US

Edited: 05 February 2012, 18:07
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malev Update

Vegas: I don't know where you get your information. From my personal experience over the last 26 years, most of these airlines list them as, for example, KLM Flight #___, but they were all Malev 737's. Sometimes you checked into a KLM gate, other times the Malev gate...but ALWAYS the same planes...Malev. Same with NWA and now Delta, and in the past, before they started the shuttle to Gatewick, BA. Don't know who BA uses now, but it's not Malev as asserted. Been there, done that too many times to be told it's not true.

The issue is, who is picking up the transcontinental connectors which used to employ Malev. Not really if there are other airloines going into B-pest.

Edited: 05 February 2012, 18:22
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,808 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malev Update

"I don't know where you get your information."

From my 14 years as an International travel consultant plus extensive research for our trip to Budapest in May. The flights I mentioned are all available and have been available for some time. They are not new flights that were put on to pick up the business Malev left behind. The International flights will continue to be handled by these airlines (if purchased as one ticket). The majority of major airlines do not work with the LCC's as they have no ticketing agreements in place.