We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we rent a car in Budapest and drive to Croatia?

Calgary
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Can we rent a car in Budapest and drive to Croatia?

Help!

We are travelling from Budapest to Dubrovnik, Hvar and Split this summer and would like to hire a car in Budapest and drop it off in Split. It seems like we will have to go through a car rental consolidator -- a sort of middle man? -- with full payment up front, and perhaps some hitches in terms of insurance and coverage.

Does anyone have any dire warnings about going through a consolidator? About hiring a car in Budapest and crossing into Croatia? Insight? Suggestions?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we rent a car in Budapest and drive to Croatia?

Hi JEFord,

While I do not have dire warnings going through a consolidator (I never have), I do have reservations about the price. In my experiences, renting a vehicle in country A and dropping it off in country B can be extremely costly. For example, a couple years back my flight rerouted into Vienna - so I logged onto the web for a rental car - dropping off in Budapest. While the single day rate was fare - the "drop off in Budapest" charge added 500 Euro. Hopefully things have changed, but make sure you are very clear on all charges.

A couple notes about driving the highways from Hungary to Croatia:

- You will need a highway sticker for Hungarian roadways. I would assume your consolidator would arrange for this, but double check). The Croatian highways are toll roads.

- The Hungarian/Croatian border can get very backed up with traffic and can add 1+ hours to your time. I'd suggest leaving very early (or late) and on a non-typical travel day (I.e., avoid Friday/Saturday if you can)

- Some drivers drive quite fast and some are aggressive. You'll be fine, but be sure to watch your rear view mirror as well.....

Please let us know the outcome, as we get this question every now and then. Enjoy your trip which sounds great!

Jeremy

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we rent a car in Budapest and drive to Croatia?

Do you HAVE to have the car in Hungary, or are you using it 'just to get there'.

If the latter, you might think of catching a train to Zagreb and hiring from there.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,398 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we rent a car in Budapest and drive to Croatia?

That would be much the better idea. And bear in mind what Jeremy said about the traffic - this is high season and there will be thousands of other cars travelling from Central Europe (many Czechs, for example, make this journey every summer) and some of the roads can be absolutely chock-a-block. It will also be very hot - 40C+ is not unusual, and being stuck in a car is not fun, especially if it is not air-conditioned (not always standard) - it is also likely to be a stick shift.

Parking in Dubrovnik is problematical.

Train to Zagreb is good value - c. €39, which you buy in Budapest.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Central
Cafe Central
9,372 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Europe
Europe
World
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
4. Re: Can we rent a car in Budapest and drive to Croatia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 11:40