We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An Observation

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
An Observation

The hope here is for fair unbiased reports and information. Well, there will be personal bias and that is good and this is why for many subjects you are better off with lots of responses and even then you will need to drill down a little deeper through other resources.

Where Tripadvisor as a concept comes up a little bit short is in its ability to resist small time marketing schemes. For instance, when an obscure hotel in a not too tourist friendly part of town gets literally hundreds of compliments you have to wonder. They could be just plain fabrications or they could be the result of the encouragement of management or there could be inducement; who knows.

Sometimes you will note that one person only shows up to promote one hotel or tour or …..; and other than that, they never participate. This could also be legit but it does deserve additional scrutiny before following along.

Or the solo post we see a lot of. They joined only to promote one thing one time. My guess is a lot of these are “encouraged”, but they may still reflect the truth; and possibly even more are deceptive.

Finally there is the pitfall of the one time traveler opinion. This isn’t a marketing scheme, this is just life. I did it, I loved it; ergo its best. Let’s say you went to Budapest and stayed in hotel X and you had a wonderful time. Well, if that’s the only hotel you ever stayed at in Budapest your opinion of the “a great place to stay in Budapest” is sort of narrow; but still legitimate and still very valuable. But Don knows that if you had stayed in Y you would have had an even better time, but you will never believe Don because you had such a good time. That’s why frequent travelers like John F. are invaluable. They have experienced a broader cross section. Of course, then John goes and ruins it by getting all goofy with the driver thing ……. (just kidding old friend).

Another suggestion is you weigh the type of tourism you do against the reviews. If you are a $$$$$ traveler the “Best Hotel in Budapest” is a completely different hotel than if you are a $ traveler. But the rankings don’t take that into account. You have to do your own selective sorting. This holds true with advice you may receive as well. As a bench mark I get the impression that if you averaged everyone here you would find out that the group is about a $$ to a $$$ in most instances.

This is all pretty much common sense so forgive me if I am stating the obvious. All in all I don’t think there is a better resource for trip planning on the internet; and all in all I don’t think there is a better bunch of well meaning people trying to assist.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An Observation

Don has stayed in many hotels across Budapest, and in fact, all across Hungary. John F doesn't stay in hotels, he stays in one of the many apartments he rents out in Budapest. In fact, when there is a recommendation (repeatedly) for a hotel someone has never stayed in I consider it to be the most suspicious of all.

How does one recommend a hotel unless they have slept there to know if the HVAC works, the room is quiet, the front desk is helpful, the sauna and pool are clean, the bed and bedding are up to snuff, the water pressure in the bath works and the toiletries are quality, the room service is actually "service"...these are just a few things that require actually staying in a hotel before recommending it. It doesn't matter how many other people one talks to, if you haven't stayed there the recommendation is just rumor or worse.

Personally, I never recommend a place I haven't stayed at, eaten in, or in any other way experienced on my own. I don't believe in second-hand recommendations on this forum.

Again we come back to the "one time poster" who pops up once and is never heard from again. Even more questionable in my opinion, is the poster who only shows up to post about one topic (e.g.: the "pre-paid" taxi from the airport) an item as far as I know nobody else on the forum has used or even heard of.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An Observation

While we are on this topic...It would be VERY helpful if a poster actually put a little info on their profile, e.g.: age, sex, interests, type of travel, infirmaties, amount willing to spend, etc., etc., etc. In addition, it would serve everyone on this forum if people who respond to the posters would take the trouble to actually LOOK at the profiles before responding from their own preconceived biases.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An Observation

Now Don, I wasnt ragging on anyone. Let keep positive.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An Observation

these are long-time observations and suggestions...not ragging. I sincerely believe questions could be answered more quickly and accurately if profiles were used by all. Otherwise why does TA bother to put them up?

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An Observation

There's one person on here (the Hungarian forum), whose knowledge and advice can be totally relied on, whether or not he's had first hand experience.

There's also another who believes he knows almost everything there is to know about Hungary, whether he's been there or not.

I don't think you'll get them mixed up.

Park.

Edited: 16 April 2012, 19:28
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An Observation

You are welcome to visit my little farm just outside Mateszalka for a week. My cousins will make you very welcome. I have only been going there since 1986 so I guess that makes me a "non-visitor."

Again, I only talk about things I have seen, felt, tasted, heard or smelled. Check my reviews. I would like to read your reviews some day.

There are some who only lurk and complain about others, and then there are those here who are trying to help first time visitors.

I would like to think you are one of the latter.

Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An Observation

....and then there are those who can "Google" and and post allegedly first hand advice.

It's up to everyone else to work out who's who.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An Observation

There are those who can post very complex information within 2 or 3 minutes and then there are those who take two, three or more hours to google stuff which may or not be available. It's up to you to decide. I'm open for a challenge. Paul, Park? Anywhere but Eger and close surronds. No cheating by looking up something obscure on google for hours and then popping a question. Perhaps someone independant? Bobandco?

Penzance
Level Contributor
632 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: An Observation

Hi Bobandco,You'll know who side I'am going on.Your speaking the truth.I've got a little Jack russell.He follows my shadow.I dont need him on alead!!

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: An Observation

Come on guys. I didnt place this post so people would argue with each other. I think by and large the folks here are pretty decent and helpful. I cant image a better bunch. I was more interested in pointing out Context than anything else.