We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

choose 2 from 3: holloko,eger,tokaj(for wine,clam,cultural)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
choose 2 from 3: holloko,eger,tokaj(for wine,clam,cultural)

Hi all, I will travel to Hungary in early June for relaxation and clam village

My first stop is budapest.

I have three destination:holloko,eger,tokaj.

Actually, I could only choose 2 from 3 to stay.

I love quiet, traditional culture, wine tasting and taking natural photos!

Could any experts help me to compare them?

thanks a lot!

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: choose 2 from 3: holloko,eger,tokaj(for wine,clam,cultural)

I vote for:

Eger ( http://wikitravel.org/en/Eger and http://budapestflat.shutterfly.com/hu2 )

and

Tokaj ( http://wikitravel.org/en/Tokaj )

Between the two it seems to be a pretty good mix of what you are looking for. I havent been to Tokaj but I hear it is worth the trip. I have been to Holloko and i wasnt terribly impressed. Holloko is a little too much museum like for my taste, but most people find it well worth the trip as well (I might just be odd).

Have fun.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: choose 2 from 3: holloko,eger,tokaj(for wine,clam,cultural)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a clam village ?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: choose 2 from 3: holloko,eger,tokaj(for wine,clam,cultural)

Calm yourself. It's a typo.

Edited: 09 May 2012, 11:14
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: choose 2 from 3: holloko,eger,tokaj(for wine,clam,cultural)

As you are going to Eger, there are more details about Noszvaj in this posting.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…39836097

If you like taking pictures of nature, the forests around the town hold 9 of the 10 species of woodpecker to be found in Europe. The kocsma (pub) in the village is worth a visit....

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: choose 2 from 3: holloko,eger,tokaj(for wine,clam,cultural)

Yes

Thanks for your help

It should be calm

I love to calm myself in ancient city

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: choose 2 from 3: holloko,eger,tokaj(for wine,clam,cultural)

No disrepect to Roman's well known bird watching hobby, but...

If I were looking for a calm, relaxing place to spend my vacation, it would NOT be in a village infested with 9 different kinds of woodpeckers. I once spent two nights in a room that had an automatic alarm clock...one woodpecker who would blaze away right outside my window several hours before I wanted to get up. I felt like Joe Pesci in "My Cousin Vinnie." All I wanted to do was find a shotgun!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: choose 2 from 3: holloko,eger,tokaj(for wine,clam,cultural)

OH, Where was your vacation which infested with woodpeckers

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: choose 2 from 3: holloko,eger,tokaj(for wine,clam,cultural)

Don't worry. It was far away from Szolnok. But, the thing is, you may be jet-lagged and have a different "body clock" than the local birds who tend to get up early. We did see a VERY large bird circling around in Szolnok when my cousin and I were laying out on the lounge chairs at the B&B. It was not a stork, so the best we could figure is that it was a "sas" Hungarian eagle. That was very exciting to watch as the sun was going down. We weren't disturbed and slept all night through each night in Szolnok.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: choose 2 from 3: holloko,eger,tokaj(for wine,clam,cultural)

Hi 88elmo,

Agree with Bobandco's original post of Eger and Tokaj. Eger is a nice small town with a great walking area and some nice wines. We have stayed in a lovely hotel immediately outside the castle entrance (if you need a place to stay, let me knowing I can ask my better half for the name). Tokaj is a tiny town, or better - a village with little to do. But, if you are a wine fan and arrange some winery tours, then you'll enjoy yourself.

Jeremy

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: choose 2 from 3: holloko,eger,tokaj(for wine,clam,cultural)

I have been to Tokaj half a dozen times. While they make a certain type of wine very well, most of the other things 88 is looking for are not to be found there. There is little to no "natural" beauty because every square inch is covered with grape vines unless you go down to the confluence of the two rivers by the bridge and wade around in the mud and weeds. As far as I know there is no spa. The local "culture" closes up with the wine shops except for the very few places to eat. In my opinion, unless you are a real wine snob, there's not much to do there. In addition, it is quite a drive just from Eger to get there, even on the new roads. To me, it is too much time spent on travel for very little in return as it relates to what 88 says he is looking for. See the reviews:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g657261-d965…