We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metered Taxi's versus Unmetered/Hotel Taxi's

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Metered Taxi's versus Unmetered/Hotel Taxi's

Hi All,

The use of taxi's is a common topic on this forum. And as you might have read, I am a major proponent of using City Taxi. I have for many years and will continue to do-so because I find them trustworthy, safe and flexible in terms of payment (I.e., cash or almost any credit card). And there are other solid companies as well (I.e. 6x6, Radio Taxi, etc.)

Today was a rainy day in Budapest and for the first time in 15ish years - City Taxi failed me, so I had to use a "Hotel Taxi". Many hotels use private firms or drivers that wait outside of the hotel. I was at the Hilton Castle today and took one of "their" taxis. My ride cost 3,700HuF. I've taken the ride many times with City where the fare is circa 2,200HuF. So, essentially I paid a 70% premium to City taxi. The driver was nice and drove safely - no issues.

But....as Budapest does not regulate taxi's paying a 70% premium should serve as a warning - or maybe a notice - for tourists coming in thinking they can flag a taxi from the curb or think that "all taxi's charge about the same." Well, they don't and today I learned it firsthand.

Note, I used City later in the day so all is once again in-line....

Jeremy

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metered Taxi's versus Unmetered/Hotel Taxi's

This of course has a long history ... a couple of years back my cousin was staying at the Hilton Castle and complained bitterly about how expensive taxis in Budapest were, saying that it cost him more than $15 to go anywhere from his hotel. These were not rogue taxis and were, in fact, obtained for him by the hotel itself...I seem to recall that they had the hotel logo on the side, but I may be mixing that up with the Margaret Island Hotel's taxi.

We sent him home via City Taxi and it cost him, as Jeremy suggests, roughly 1/3 of what the hotel's taxi cost. The same has been true for me with taxis hailed by the Margaret Island Danubius, the Gresham, and the InterContinental over the years.

The rides have all been good, the drivers very good English speakers, the cars very, very well maintained and good-sized. I have not felt ripped off because I made the deliberate choice and because the trips were all so well executed, but like Jeremy I rely on City Taxi or, when they aren't available, which can happen at times (or when their estimate is longer than I'm happy with, I sometimes call Fo Taxi or one of the other major companies (none of which I find as consistently solid as City for within-city jobs, but all of which are scrupulously faithful to pretty much the same metered rates as City).

Xenia, Ohio
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metered Taxi's versus Unmetered/Hotel Taxi's

Jeremy,

Maybe it was just a taxi driver from Ohio knowing he had someone from "up north" in his taxi.

Sorry - couldn't resist. ;-)

Teresa

3. Re: Metered Taxi's versus Unmetered/Hotel Taxi's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2013, 10:17