We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traing from Vienna to Budapest

Wan Chai, Hong Kong
3 posts
Save Topic
Traing from Vienna to Budapest

Hi,

Planning a holiday to Vienna & Budapest - I want to take the train from Vienna to Budapest, but also need to meet someone at Budapest airport.

Is there a train from Vienna that goes directly to the airport, or do I need to go to Budapest city and get a another train to the airport.

Thanks

Chris

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traing from Vienna to Budapest

Hi Christopher,

Your train from Vienna will NOT take you to the Budapest Airport, and will end at Keleti train station. As a matter of fact, there is no train that goes to the Budapest Airport. You can get close, then take a bus - but it's a bit of a hassle.

The person you have to meet at the airport - I assume they will be coming into the city? The most simple thing to do may be just to have that person take a taxi/airport shuttle bus (scan this forum - countless posts) and meet you in City Center somewhere. Getting from city center to the airport is easy with a taxi (City Taxi +36.211.1111) but it will cost you about 5000HuF. You can take a metro, to a bus which is much cheaper (sans 700HuF).

Share your thoughts/plans here a bit more and we can get you pointed in the right direction.

Jeremy

Wan Chai, Hong Kong
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traing from Vienna to Budapest

Dear Jeremy,

Thanks for the information. We are staying in the City - the person that I am meeting is my wife.

I've just booked my train to Budapest, and by the looks of it, I'll get there several hours before the flight. She'll have a lot of luggage :-(, so I need to be at the airport to meet!

It looks as if I'll have plenty of time to book into the hotel and then get to the airport. I assume that there is a shuttle bus from the city to the airport.

This holiday has been a logistical nightmare to work out. We live in Hong Kong and usually travel together - First destination is Amsterdam - however, my wife has 2 days business in Paris. I've been there many times, and she doesn't have any spare time, so I've decided to spend the 2 days visiting friends in Vienna and then meet in Budapest!

Thanks

Christopher

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,880 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traing from Vienna to Budapest

I would simply get a taxi out to the airport, costs about £20uk.

Call Fo Taxi and ask them to send you a cab - they are the official airport taxi firm.

36 1 222 2222

It takes about 40 minutes to the airport, depending on time of day and where your hotel is.

After you have met your wife, simply walk out of the terminal, the Fo taxi booth is right in front of you, Go to the booth, do not approach a cab direct.

Wan Chai, Hong Kong
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traing from Vienna to Budapest

Hi,

Thanks for the taxi advice. I will do that.

Christopher

5. Re: Traing from Vienna to Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 23:15