We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hungary in winter

Scotland
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Topic
Hungary in winter

Hiya guys, I hope you are all well :).

I'm considering spending a couple of weeks in the Hungary during winter for New Year. I'm not a big partyer, somewhere historical with pubs, historic towns and most importantly...beautiful forests. Can anybody suggest a good itinerary?

Thanks!

With a handshake!

Ewan

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,880 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hungary in winter

Your problem with forests will be a) getting there and b) the fact that many holiday places will be closed - for example the place we occasionally stay in Ujhuta closes at the end of November.

Are you prepared to drive ? you can get to places like Noszvaj (not far from Eger) by train and bus, but car makes it all easier, if more expensive. The Nomad Hotel is great for walking in the forests around Noszvaj, we have stayed there, but no idea if it is open at that time of year. You could give them a call, with luck Barbara will answer, she is very clued up and speaks excellent English, she is one of my favourite people in Hungary. If they are closed she may have other suggestions.

The areas you might want to look at (in the east) are the Bukk and the Zemplen hills. In the West there are plenty of forests around Sopron, which is a nice Mittel Europa town.

Of course there are forests in the hills of Buda - Harmashatarhegy is worth a walk at any time, as is the Erszebet Kilato and anywhere around Normafa.

But I have to say 2 weeks is a long time to spend there in January, especially as many tourist places will be closed (not just hotels)....

Scotland
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hungary in winter

Hiya :)! Thanks for your help :)! I'll take a look at the places you suggested.

With a handshake!

Ewan

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,880 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hungary in winter

I have been trying to remember the name of this place, and have finally done it.

http://www.kokapu.hu/

It is in the middle of the Zemplen hills, in an idyllic spot, and most definitely surrounded by forest, but you would need a car to get there, unless you catch a train to Palhaza and then take a taxi (which might be difficult !).

There is a narrow guage railway from Palhaza up the valley, mainly used to bring wood down from the forest: there are tourist coaches attached in the summer, not sure about the middle of winter....

As I say the location is idyllic. The end of the railway line is a few hundred metres up the valley from the hotel, where there is a bar and restaurant, but again they will probably be closed.

We first went there about 20 years ago, just to take the train from Palhaza. Then about 6 years ago we took a walk from Ujhuta and were ambling along when we came upon a narrow guage railway: I said to my wife that I was sure we had been on the railway some time before, and she agreed. Hang on she said, if it's the one I am thinking of, you know what is at the end of the line, don't you ? I never knew she could walk so fast !

Edited: 03 September 2013, 16:30
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,880 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hungary in winter

Vad means game, and vadasz is hunter, I think.

Kastely is residence, hall, mansion.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hungary in winter

Actually, kastély is castle, but otherwise, perfect :)

I love Mátra Mountains, there are even ski resorts there (at Kékes, near Mátraháza, and Galyatető, or at the other side of the mountain, at Mátraszentistván, Mátraszentimre and Mátraszentlászló). I've been to Mátraszentimre in winter once; it's a lovely, picturesque place :)

Take a look around the hotels, because plenty of them have celebrations planned for New Year's Eve, but you gotta be quick, because they quickly fill up at that time of the year. If you don't mind travelling a bit from Budapest, I can suggest Sopron (Hotel Lővér is wonderful, with friendly staff and delicious food and the area around it is gorgeous! On one side, there's the Alps right there, on the other side, there's the city of Sopron, with plenty of interesting places, including the historical town, museums, pubs, shops, confectioneries, theatre, etc.). And Austria is just a little leap from there if you want to look around.

I might be biased, but Sopron is worth a visit. If you go by train, it's about 2,5-3 hours from Budapest.

(Link to the hotel: http://www.danubiushotels.com/our-hotels-sopron/hotel-lover)

6. Re: Hungary in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 06:21