We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Weeks in Hungary

Valletta, Malta
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
2 Weeks in Hungary

Hi all,

We are thinking about our 2014 2 weeks holiday for October. We (wife and myself) are thinking of going to Hungary, but unfortunately its not a destination that you can easily find good itineraries for it. We will not be driving, as heard that its not too safe, and I have never drove abroad as I'm used to RHD and a small country (Malta). So have some questions: Is the train system efficient and good for travelling? Apart from Budapest (so not to spend all days there) what other location or 2 locations do you suggest to stay as a base. The bases must be easy to do short trips to other places (between 1hr and 1.5hours) by public transport. We like architecture, scenery and museums and good food. We will arrive in Budapest and depart from Budapest.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,631 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Weeks in Hungary

Not sure where you heard that driving is not safe - I have been driving there occasionally for nearly 40 years without incident, and as you can see I come from a RHD country too.

Places you can reach by train include Pecs (worth 2 nights), Eger and Tokaj (worth 1 night).

Hungary has excellent local bus services, so once you are in any of these towns it is possible to get out into the countryside proper.

You might also stop at Sopron for the night on the way to Vienna, which is worth 4 nights (it is only 3,25 hours from Budapest.

Edited: 03 November 2013, 09:38
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Weeks in Hungary

Let me add Sopron to the list that Roman citizen has given you.

I travel entirely by train outside of the places I stay in, where I use the local bus services. (And, rarely, very rarely, a taxi. I think the only places I've used a taxi have been to and from the train station in Eger to my hotel, and once in Szombathely to the RR station from Fo ter.)

My trips have usually been of 3 weeks duration. My interests seem to overlap yours, incidentally.

My most recent trip (two years ago, alas) consisted of stays in Pecs, Eger. and Sopron, in addition to initial, final, and intermediate stays in Budapest. On earlier trips, I have also stayed in Gyor. I've also taken a few multi-day trips to Kosice (Slovakia) on earlier trips.

A tip on this: In order to avoid having to lug all your belongings along with you, see if your hotel in Budapest will store part of it while you're away. (Unfortunately, I have to take two small suitcases. because I'm not able to lift a heavier one onto the thing at the airports. I pack a small backpack into one of them, and have a sturdy canvas carrier-type bag as my carryon. This contains my purse which has my passport, CC's, etc , and all other needed documents regarding hotel accommodations, meds, flight details, etc.. in a big envelope, which goes with me everywhere when not on a day trip. It also usually contains a couple of books to read on the Trans-Atlantic flight, and a few sandwiches in case all that's left is lasagna (or similar) as I have a lactose problem. I also am unable to lift much into the overhead bins on my own. My coat, hat, scarf, and the remainder of what I think I'll not want on the flight stays in the carryon., which then goes into the overhead bin.)

Once I have landed in Budapest, I take the shuttle bus to my hotel. (I'm solo, so this is better than the taxi for me. And the 200E bus + Metro + tram option with two suitcases I can barely manage isn't a realistic option.

Fortunately, my hotel in Budapest allows me to store luggage for p to 6 months. I've also found that I can cope with a 5 or 6 day trip out of Budapest with the small backpack and the carrier bag, so the suitcases can stay in Budapest.

Budapest deserves a lot of time.

One can make a reasonable day trip to Eger via either bus or train, but a one night stay would be good. I think you can make a day trip to Tokaj from Eger by train. which would indicate a longer stay there.

Pecs deserves at ;least 2 nights, and possibly three, as the historical center is very rich in history.

I suggest Sopron for several reasons:

1) It has a very interesting old city that one can investigate for at least one full day.

2) The train time to Vienna is only1 hourr 20 minutes, instead of the 3 hours from Budapest.. You'd have more time in Vienna.

3) A day train day trip to Gyor is quite possible, as in one to Szombathely,

Valletta, Malta
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Weeks in Hungary

So if I do this: I take train from Vienna to Sopron and stay 4 nights, then I had to Pecs and stay 4 nights and then off to Budapest for 6 nights and fly out from Budapest. What do you think? I will definitely try to do day trips by buses or trains from the 3 locations.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Weeks in Hungary

Are you flying into Budapest, or Vienna?

5. Re: 2 Weeks in Hungary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 05:17