We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Trip to Hungary: need advices

israel
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family Trip to Hungary: need advices

Hi everybody,

we booked flight to Budapest at august 2014 for 2 weeks, couple + 3 boys (twins 12 y. old and toddler 3 y. old).

We need an itinerary advices for 2 weeks. Would like to spend at Budapest 4-5 days and prefer not to change more than 2 locations. We've read that the most interesting part of Hungary is Transdanubia. So how to divide the days? Where can we find any attractions for energetic kids?

Thanks

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Family Trip to Hungary: need advices

Here's just a start, a very small start to learn about the region. Click the blue links and the numbers at the bottom of the pages for more.

This entire region is full of places to romp in nature, meet people and be welcomed into their lives. Every town and village has its own festival and August is a great time to go to see these. You will be welcomed to take part in these events, not as a tourist but as a guest and almost a family member. Every little town and almost every village has a small museum of some sort or other. Most only take perhaps a half an hour to see but all are very fascinating.

You can stay in guest houses for as little as ten or twelve USD a night, and have a delicious home made meal for only a few dollars. Everything is cheap and fresh out to the east. You only have read about the western part of the country because that is the only part the tour book authors have visited.

holeinthedonut.com/2013/…more-25640

Enjoy!!!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Family Trip to Hungary: need advices

You also should know that if you are traveling with kids you will be especially welcomed. Hungarians are crazy about kids and will go out their way to make your visit special for your children. They love to sit and watch kids having fun. Just be careful to not let them spoil your young ones.

Edited: 23 November 2013, 12:04
Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
300 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Family Trip to Hungary: need advices

Have a great trip!! I am looking forward to mine in May. Thanks , ugyved:)

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Family Trip to Hungary: need advices

I'd like to defuse some of the stuff that's appeared so far. The remarks directed at Roman Citizen and Park75 really are uncalled for.

A rather simple search on the Hungary forum for children would probably bring up a lot of threads with suggestions. There certainly are a number of suggestions on the Budapest forum for activities in Budapest. It's a bit harder to find this outside of Budapest.

From my point of view, the problem is what is going to be useful for a family with 2 12 year olds and a toddler, as well as leaving the parents some space to explore their own interests, which are unknown at this point. Also unknown is whether the '2 locations' includes Budapest, or whether it's Budapest + 1 other location. Also unknown is what sort of budget one is making for this trip. Given all of that, the OP has asked for a planned itinerary, and has been offended? when one was not forthcoming. How on earth could one do this without further information? This led to other criticisms.

Given your circumstances with family, I'd certainly look into Lake Balaton for several days.

I'd also be sure that wherever I went, that there would be some accommodation for your 2 yr old., and enough things of interest for the 12 year olds before making a decision.

I'd like to suggest Sopron in Transdanubia. It's a compact and very interesting little city.

Personally, I'm a fan of Transdanubia because of its ancient and medieval history.

israel
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Family Trip to Hungary: need advices

oddone123,

We've travelled with the kids already. So the trip'll be family oriented which means that we have to balance bitween our interests and kids' preferences. The toddler needs time to outdoor games and get out his energy. And not too much walking for him. We'll take a stroller too.

The last two years we've been at Germany: Black forest before one year and Bavarian Alps&Munich this august. Germany is very family trip oriented. Now we have a less budget. For this reason we choose east Europe (Hungary), because it less expensive than western Europe. I've thought to divide the time bitween Budapest + one location. But now I think to take a one location at Balaton for 4 days, another one at northern or eastern Hungary and 5-6 days to spent at Budapest at the end. Sopron seems to me not suitable because it's located so far. We'll rent a car for the countryside. At Budapest it's better to use public transport, I guess.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Family Trip to Hungary: need advices

Your money will go MUCH farther in eastern Hungary than in places such as Sopron which is geared to the wealthier Austrian tourists. And the food and drinks reflect that. There really is little to do for children there.

If you have had a chance to look at the links I sent, you will see there are endless things for the kids and in fact the whole family to do in the east...most of them are free or for very little cost. Probably the most expensive thing to do is the water park in Hortobagy. But if you want water sports, the rivers are free!!! I like the balance you have between Budapest, Lake Balaton and the east for your itinerary.

Edited: 23 November 2013, 15:14
israel
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Family Trip to Hungary: need advices

Yes, we very like every water)))) Do people in the east speak english? Is there tourist info, accomodation and so on?

I'll investigate the eastern part by the internet and be back with conclusions.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Family Trip to Hungary: need advices

Just about all the kids and younger adults speak English now. It has been more than 20 years since the Soviets left and mandatory Russian language education ended. They all instantly took up English. Even if you don't speak the language, you can easily make your wishes known with simple sign language. They know why you are there. You can stay in the Panzio at Touristvandi which is literally right next to the water, canoes, boats and the ancient water mill. They will cook whatever you want. Also on the links you will see you can stay in the palinka town for very cheap. There are dozens of places out there where you can make it your "base camp" to explore the region. It doesn't get much better than August next to the river in Hungary.

Edited: 23 November 2013, 16:51
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Family Trip to Hungary: need advices

I disagree with ugyved 2 on the costs . While it is true that Sopron is a favored place to visit for Austrians from Vienna, a lot of it is Austrians doing their weekly grocery shopping there for the cheaper prices. It's a lot cheaper than Budapest, and certainly a lot cheaper than Germany. Sopron is no farther than the east of Hungary in terms of time to get there. And there are a lot of outdoors things for kids to do as well. I think you are exaggerating the differences.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,412 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Family Trip to Hungary: need advices

Hello nsbasc

I think you have chosen well in looking east so many more activities geared toward families and kids your age.

From the northeast section where you all can find miles and miles of hiking trails, vast cave complexes, lakes, and waterfalls, to visiting World Heritage sites like Hollókő, named the most beautiful village in Hungary in several surveys.

In the Puszta area you can visit Lake Tisza, a wildlife wonderland as well as a sports paradise. You can go fishing, boating, hiking, horseback riding, biking, swimming, jet-skiing and even banana-boating all I am sure the kids will love as well as their parents.

Visit the Bird Reserve in Tiszavalk not only part of the Hortobágy World Heritage Site but is home to around 200 bird species, including herons, egrets, and wagtails. Really cool to see and spend a day.

Take a look at this thread it should help you out immensely it did us when we traveled to the eastern part of Hungary and found it to be really great for all ages ... I think the quote in post #2 says it all << go east if you want to see the real country.>> tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274887-i263-k4864…

Hope this helped and have a great trip

SEBESZ