We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debrecen to Ukraine (Chop or Uzhoorod) - OUTBOUND PLAN - Feb

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Debrecen to Ukraine (Chop or Uzhoorod) - OUTBOUND PLAN - Feb

Hi there, on 17th February 2014 I fly into Debrecen from the UK. My destination is Uzhoorod in the Ukraine. Now before I go any further, my plan is at the moment is this.

Arrive 11.10 at airport. (is there a cash machine at the airport, I only need money for train fares and taxi rides and a little bit for food).

Run to taxi rank to get a ride to the main train station. (Is this called Vasutallomas?) Also how much will the taxi cost?

Depart 12.34 and arrive at Zahony at 14:57, change trains there for the 15.32 train to CHOP which arrives at 17.50 (I know there is a border control to go through). If I miss the 12.34 train, I know there is a 13.34 train with an extra change at Nyiregyhaza at 15.29.

WHen arriving in CHOP where I will meet my friend, we will get a local bus or taxi to Uzhoorod.

RIGHT, apart from the questions above, I have some more.

1) Is there a quicker way to get to Uzhoorod which isn't going to break my bank account? Is there a direct bus around that time, or at least to CHOP.

2) can I walk across the border, will this be quicker than having to hang around forever on the train?

Be great to hear from anybody. Cheers

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Debrecen to Ukraine (Chop or Uzhoorod) - OUTBOUND PLAN - Feb

Ok, thank you for finding out, I was just about to message Hertz. Thanks for finding out for me.

So, if everything goes to plan, a nice slow train journey through the plains of north-east Hungary :P Is there anything worth seeing from the train window on this journey? :D

On a serious note, just in case for emergencies, does anyone know if there is an ATM machine in Zahony train station. I shouldn't need this as I been told I can buy a train ticket all the way from CHOP to DEBRECEN on my return journey (I hope this is true). :D

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,162 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Debrecen to Ukraine (Chop or Uzhoorod) - OUTBOUND PLAN - Feb

If trying to drive (rather than use a train) through the border you can be delayed for quite a while I believe. And it is very unlikely that ANY Hungarian hire company would let you do so anyway.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Debrecen to Ukraine (Chop or Uzhoorod) - OUTBOUND PLAN - Feb

No, there arent any ATMs in the train station, but there is at least one very close in the city.

What you will see are forests, and orchands. Hungary is very flat, you wont see any high until you are well into the Ukraine.

Dont try taking a car. Entry into the Ukraine sometimes takes more than 24 hours, and coming back into the EU might mean even more!

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Debrecen to Ukraine (Chop or Uzhoorod) - OUTBOUND PLAN - Feb

Another stupid question, I been on the Hungarian train websites. I got the times which is good, but I can't find any ticket prices to get me from DEBRACEN to CHOP in the Ukrainan border. Is there anyone who can help me with this. I just need the cheapest seat possible and I know I can buy on the day.

Debrecen, Hungary
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Debrecen to Ukraine (Chop or Uzhoorod) - OUTBOUND PLAN - Feb

I have aks the railway company: the ticket for Debrecen-Chop (normal train) = 2600 HUF/one way, for InterCity (IC) = 2600 + 900 HUF/one way (the 900 HUF is seat tichket). Of course you can buy return ticket and the price is double of the above mentioned. If you buy return ticket you can use it for any train (except: IC- where you need seat ticket).

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Debrecen to Ukraine (Chop or Uzhoorod) - OUTBOUND PLAN - Feb

Ok, thank you Edit. Now I got to check if my trains are intercities. :D

So, a ticket for 2600HUF is valid on any train but if my train is intercity, I need to pay 900HUF. Got it. Do I need to reserve a seat on these trains?

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Debrecen to Ukraine (Chop or Uzhoorod) - OUTBOUND PLAN - Feb

I have just checked, I got a regional train on my outbound journey and intercity on my return. So I book both tickets on my arrival in Debrecen. Thank you :)

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Debrecen to Ukraine (Chop or Uzhoorod) - OUTBOUND PLAN - Feb

Yes, seat reservation is compulsory on IC trains, which can be done until the train arrives at the station. If I remember right, these trains get emptier the closer you are to the border.

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Debrecen to Ukraine (Chop or Uzhoorod) - OUTBOUND PLAN - Feb

Quick Question: At Debrecen train station, when buying a ticket for the trains, is it cash only or have they caught up with the rest of Europe and now accept Visa and Mastercards? (I remember my last trip to Hungary in 2007, this was frustrating having to use cash all the times!)

:D

If someone can let me know, that would be fantastic. I leave tomorrow morning. :)

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Debrecen to Ukraine (Chop or Uzhoorod) - OUTBOUND PLAN - Feb

I never tried to buy at ticket there. Be prepared for long, slow moving lines because it looks like a left over from the "Old Days". If they don't speak English grab any teenager you see and they will be able to translate. I don't know why you were told there was no ATM there because there has been one for years in the small shopping arcade opposite the ticket lines. You can buy last minute sandwiches and beer for the trip there. If for some odd reason they removed the ATM, there is a bank just outside on the corner. If you really get into trouble there is a modern looking customer service office that speaks some form of English right by the train platform and just across from the drink bar where you can slam a couple of shots before you board.