We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in Budapest (going to Slovakia and back)

Haifa, Israel
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car in Budapest (going to Slovakia and back)

Hi

Looking for not expensive and reliable car rental company, We are landing in Budapest and going for 5 days to Slovakia (Poprad area) and going back to Budapest to return the car (October 2014).

Preferable with free cancellation

Will be glad to hear your advices (also what is important to pay attention of)

Thanks

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,653 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car in Budapest (going to Slovakia and back)

Do not use a cheap local company, as they will probably have no support in Slovakia. There should not be a problem taking a hire car into Slovakia - some countries are a no-no, but obviously check before hiring - and make sure they know you intend to take the car across the border.

We have used Fox before without issues, any of the big international companies should be OK, but avoid Budget, bunch of scumbags.

You need to make a toll payment called a matrica BEFORE entering a Hungarian motorway. The hire car may come with this - again ask - if not they can be bought a petrol stations. I seem to remember that Slovakia has a similar toll, it should be possible to buy before you cross, or at, the border. Don't forget you need one coming back into Hungary, unless you buy one for a week.

The matrica works on numberplate recognition cameras, so there is no escape. Obviously if you avoid driving on motorways you don't have to pay it.

Some rules about driving in Hungary

the driver drives, no eating, drinking can of coke, using mobile phone etc.

entering or leaving towns or villages, the settlement name sign is the speed limit sign, usually 50kph

headlights must be on at all times outside built up areas (bizarre but there you go)

stick to the speed limits, Hungarians may not, you should

the drink-drive limit is ZERO, it is 99% certain that this is the rule in Slovakia as well

Edited: 08 March 2014, 19:20
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car in Budapest (going to Slovakia and back)

The rules of the road are basically the same in Slovakia. You must buy the vignette before you get into Slovakia, or at the border, NOT after, or you will be fined heavily!

Szada, Pest, Hungary
Level Contributor
425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car in Budapest (going to Slovakia and back)

I don't know the best car rental company but I can recommend a scenic and short route from Budapest to Poprad:

Budapest - Salgótarján - direction Lucenec - Prsa - Velke dravce - Tisovec - Muran - Telgart - Poprad.

It is shorter in distance and not longer in time than the highway in Slovakia. (You don't need sticker in Slovakia in this case.)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car in Budapest (going to Slovakia and back)

I would be very pleased to learn any Car Rental recommendations for Budapest. Does anyone know of Recent Car Autókölcsönző? I am travelling in August 2014

Edited: 24 March 2014, 11:13
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car in Budapest (going to Slovakia and back)

I, too, have used Fox, very happily (I since bought the same sort of car that I had rented, it pleased me so much), but not within the past year, so my recommendation is not recent, but nevertheless wholehearted...

6. Re: Renting a car in Budapest (going to Slovakia and back)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 04:15