We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other popular places in Hungary

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Other popular places in Hungary

Apart from Budapest, are there any other popular places in your country worth a few days stay? I enjoy nature, nightlife and history. Are there other places in your country that offer all three things? Where is that place where they have the cowboys and horse riding? That looks interesting.

Thanks for all the replies I get.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Other popular places in Hungary

With all due respect the ccsikos (cowboys) of the Puzsta (great plains) around Kecskemet make your boys look like donkey riders. Same for our boyys here in the Soiuthwest of US. I have seen guys standing up bareback with as many as seven horses at once. Now that's horse power.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Other popular places in Hungary

Kecskemet also has some of the best palinka (fruit brandy) in the country. You can tour to see how it's made. Stay at the recently remodeled and air conditioned "Three Geese" right on the town square where you will find some really good history and architecture.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,315 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Other popular places in Hungary

The horseriding things tend to be very touristy and kitsch, if you are into that sort of thing then fine.

Eger might be a better bet, there are hills nearby easily reached by car or bus, it has a castle, indeed loads of history, and it is the centre of a major wine region. Not sure what the nightlife is like, I am a bit past that, but it is a city of 50-60k people.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Other popular places in Hungary

There are tourist shows around Kecskemet, but there are also large, working horse and cattle ranches around there that have nothing to do with the shows. You can easily stop into most of them and they will show you around. In addition, what's wrong with a "tourist show" if you are a tourist and want to see amazing horse riding as well as brilliant coach driving? With the exception of Sentendre, Eger has become the most tourist overrun place in the country, yet it is always recommended.

PerthBigAl, you can also see and ride the prancing Lipizzaner horses, as well as learn how to drive a multi-horse coach or wagon, at the stables and arenas in Szilvasvarad which is just north of Eger. Not swamped by tourists, this town is in a beautiful setting and has great fresh trout and truffles. There are many other outdoor activities there as well. SEBESZ visited there last year I think it was and he can fill you in on the latest outdoor things to do there.

Miskolc, Hungary
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Other popular places in Hungary

I would also recommend visiting Pécs in southern part of the country. It has a fascinating architecture and it is full of history.

Take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A9cs

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=p%C3%A9cs

The "cowboys and horse riding" thing may refer to the Hortobágy or the ranches around Kecskemét.

The typical "puszta" where the "csikós" people demonstrate their horse-riding tricks mentioned by ugyved2 is located in the Hortobágy region.

Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Other popular places in Hungary

hahaha!!! Szilvasvarad not swamped by tourists!! You must be joking, the only people that go there are tourists. Granted, most of them are Hungarian. Worthy of a visit but if wanting to learn to drive a horse and carriage it's not something you can generally just turn up and do.

And I would hardly say that Eger is tourist over-run. Yes, a lot of tourists visit but it's certainly NOT over-run. I should know, I live and work there :/ Well worth a visit though with plenty to see and do for a couple of days. Hopefully they'll complete renovating the main square before too long as it looks a real mess right now :(

Edited: 29 April 2014, 21:02
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Other popular places in Hungary

I ended up visiting Eger and Kecskemet. Eger was definately the best place and I loved the scenery and the castle there. Was there only a few days ago. So different to Budapest and very relaxing. If I come and visit Hungary again one day, I will try and go into the south where Pecs is. Thanks again for everyones advice.

8. Re: Other popular places in Hungary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2015, 06:16