We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a good overnight train from Paris-Budapest?

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a good overnight train from Paris-Budapest?

I have been on most of the Eurail, etc., sites for basic information, but was wondering if anyone has first hand information or the name of a U.S. travel agent who really knows the trains. I'd like to travel from either Paris to Budapest or Budapest to Venice via a nice overnight train with a private compartment including bathroom.

I know the Orient Express makes this trip, but their dates in October don't work for me. Plus it's RIDICULOUSLY expensive - like $3000 for two people for one night!

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
295 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a good overnight train from Paris-Budapest?

There is an "Orient Express" luxury train as well as regular trains that run on several routed daily with a transfer in Munich, Vienna and/or other large cities. It generally takes about 18 hours from Paris to Budapest. The various trains run from seated coaches to sleepers on the different stretches. The tickets run from about $275 (cheapest economy ticket) and up.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
351 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a good overnight train from Paris-Budapest?

I went by trtain to Paris from Budapest many years ago but not an overnight train (by way of a stopover in Prague). FLY!!! There are plenty of alternatives, including stopovers or "open jaw" tickets (into one city & out from another). Air France/Delta still code share and stopovers in Paris on the way to Budapest might be easy to arrange. It might be that you would have to pay extra if you did a stopover and returned from another city. Air France used to sell very reasonably priced flights to other Fench cities from CDG if you purchased at the same time as your flight from the US (however, watch out for the now rigid and potentially costly new Air France weight restrictions on luggage). With all the discount European flights that are now available, provided that you can live with their stringent luggage restrictions, flying makes eminent sense compared to the train for long distances within Europe. Don't be a chump! Jump by air, not train (even thought you may be tempted by saving the cost of a night in a hotel).

I'm reasonably certain that there is still an ovenight train from Vienna to Venice (or "wherever" in Italy). I went to Florence overnight, but reserved all six seats in the compartment so we would have privacy for three (no private bathroom). Because of all the coupling and uncoupling of cars and engines, and because of the incessant talking through half the night by American college students in a nearby compartment, we did not sleep well. We returned by day - a beautiful ride through the mountains. I know that there are now more direct routes from Budapest to Vienna through the Balkans, and assume that you may be able to travel overnight. When I had the choice ten + years ago, I bought a roundtrip for three people on Malev to Rome (tossing away the return ticket) to avoid the train.

Try the German ( http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?ld=212.63&newrequest=yes&) or Austrian (http://oebb.at/vip8/oebb/en/index.jsp) RR websites (I'm not sure how useful Elvira, the Hungarian site [?] would be) and see if they help with the routes In which you are interested. As for advice, I can't say who specializes in RR travel in Europe, having used only Carlson/Wagonlit in Budapest and the now defunct MAV ticket office on Adrassy ut.

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a good overnight train from Paris-Budapest?

Thank you for these replies. I will fly Paris-Budapest and I think I found a good train from Budapest-Venice (with bath and shower) so that will satisfy my overnight train craving.

Many of the Italian and other overnight trains have eliminated the private shower and toilet, and that is the only way I will go, so my options are becoming more limited.

Much appreciate the warning about stringent weight restrictions. I did not know that and will take care not to exceed them!

4. Re: Is there a good overnight train from Paris-Budapest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 20:19