We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

superroom, tips, etc.

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
princeton, nj
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
superroom, tips, etc.

Just got back from Budapest and would like to offer a couple thoughts/tips.

We stayed at one of the Superroom apartments (on Kossuth Lajos ut) for 4 nights and really appreciated the accommodation. It's perfect for the budget traveler, as we paid about 20 USD/night per person. A great deal for such an amazing location, and an adequately furnished apartment. The first two nights, the other room in the apt. was taken by some friendly travelers, but the second two nights we had the place to ourselves.

Peter and Marton are extraordinarily friendly and helpful guys--I can't stress enough the benefits of having them as a resource. We found that their recommendations were always better than Lonely Planet's (or other guidebooks). We really appreciated that Peter took the time upon our arrival to show us the best way to get to places, and the places he recommended were spot on (e.g., Menza, Paprika). Also, the apartment is near Cafe Auguszt which we wildly preferred to Gerbeaud, and it was a nice place for breakfast or a mid-afternoon pick-me-up.

Another tip: if you're going to Parliament do as others have suggested on this forum--make a reservation (email tourist.office@parlament.hu , idegenv@parlament.hu asking for a specific time and date for the offered tours), it lets you skip the sometimes-long line for tickets in the morning.

Also, the 7-day transit pass is only about 500 forints more expensive than the 3-day tourist pass, so if you're there for 4 days, don't buy a 3-day plus a 1-day.

We really enjoyed Szechenyi Baths, but might recommend against the Aroma Relaxing massage (one of the newer ones they're offering, I think), it was nice and not too expensive as far as massages go, but not that amazing. Be sure to go around and around in the circular current in the cooler outdoor pool for some fun...everyone ended up shrieking like children.

The statue park is a long haul out there for not much to see--what is there is definitely interesting, but right now a good chunk of the exhibit is under redesign of sorts (results in a cheaper ticket, but the whole thing can still be seen in 20 minutes).

The Labyrinth is definitely a tourist trap of sorts, but we still had a lot of fun going through it with lanterns after 6pm...just take it for what it is.

If you go to the House of Terror, I would recommend an English Audio Tour...we didn't do it and still took a lot away from the museum, but if we were to do it again, we definitely would've gotten the audio tour.

Eat on Raday ut one night, lots of options (even if they're a bit touristy) with a good variety on the menus. We had a friendly waiter at Cafe Leroy who also had lots of info. about the city to share and he gave us a try of Unicum. The food wasn't the best that we had there (I really liked the updated goulash at Menza and the chicken and plums at Paprika), but it was definitely good, and nice to sit outside with blankets.

We also ate at Gundel's sister restaurant, Borvendeglo. It was good, but also didn't live up to the hype for us.

Other than that we did the usual things, and lots of walking around. It was a truly amazing trip. We found the people of Budapest to be much friendlier and more helpful to us English-speaking folks than we anticipated from other people's comments, and definitely appreciated the kindness we got from most of the people there.

Just a question--have others found Gerbaud to be a let-down?

Hope some of these tips might help...

jala

NY,NY
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: superroom, tips, etc.

Hey thanks for this post. I'm just about to head off to Budapest and I've been reading up on it. This is great. Can you recommend any places to try the tokay?

hj

princeton, nj
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: superroom, tips, etc.

sadly, i was a bit ill while in budapest and so i didn't do much drinking. but there is a place called the House of Hungarian wines in the castle district that we meant to go to--i think it's a little over $20 for a self-guided tour and they give you several wines from which to try. it might not be the cheapest or most off-the-beaten place to try, but it was a place that was recommended to us a couple different times. once you're up in the castle district, it shouldn't be too hard to find, just ask around...

here's the site:

www.magyarborokhaza.hu/index.php…

hope that helps, i'm sure others will have more insight on this!

Belgium, Antwerp
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: superroom, tips, etc.

Me and my friends went to Budapest early September 2007 and we stayed for 5 days in Marton's superroom. http://www.superroom.fw.hu/

It's a really nice place and it's worth its money, I strongly recommend it! The flat is close to the citycenter, in a decent neighbourhood and you can easily walk to it, but in case of bad wether you can also take advantage of public transport. The rooms offer you a lot of space but make you feel at home. And at last, your host Marton is very very friendly. He arranged a cab for us and offered us his help. He gave us city maps, telling us which places we certainly had to visit. He made us feel comfy at once and helped us organizing our departure out of Budapest. (Thank you for al that.) To be honest there isn't a single minor point I can think about this accomodation. If you're heading towards Budapest, think about it. The flat's nice, dry, warm, spacy, not expensive and the host is very pleasant to be with.

Greets

Bart (the Belgians)

Ps, check out the guestbook at his website, it's full of good comments..

Liverpool
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: superroom, tips, etc.

Just to say I have returned from a wonderful (if cold) trip to Budapest. My only consolation about the weather is that it snowed in England whilst I was away!!! (And sadly we got knocked out of the Euro 2008 finals.....LOL)

I stayed at Marton in the SuperChargedRoom (www.superroom.fw.hu) and he was a great host and most welcoming. A little confusion over the exact address - apparently he has 2 apartments and I headed off to the wrong one. Fortunately they are less than a mile apart.

Budapest is a very nice city, the people are warm, friendly and welcoming. It will be a very nice city when all the work is done!! So many road works and building renovations going on.

So for good clean basic accommodation on a budget, Marton's apartment was perfect. It meant I had more money to spend on Hungarian red wine to bring home, which is always a bonus...

Anytime you are in England I will teach you how to make a proper cup of tea!!!!

Rob.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: superroom, tips, etc.

Agree with Gerbeaud...my wife is Hungarian...unfortunately we never got to try their cakes because the service was so horrible we got up and left and never returned. I recommend Jegbufe...no english waitstaff and no tables to eat at but the cakes are amazing.

Sorry to say I didn't have the same experience at superrooms...Marton is very friendly and helpful, but the fact that his condo association/landlord don't allow him to rent out the place caused a big inconvenience and oftentimes in trying to accomidate other guests he steps on your feet. If you look around this site you'll see bad comments and removed posts which he asked the poster to remove (2 of them are mine).

Regarding Tokaji wine...you can find it most anywhere...grocery stores, restaurants, liquor stores, non-stops. The wine is graded based on puttyanos...1-6 with 6 being the best.

House of Terror...I loved it. no need for the audio tour...the words from the audio tour are printed word for word on the handouts in each room.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: superroom, tips, etc.

By the way...notice that all the follow up posts are posted by people with only one post...this is always fishy to me, especially when they are singing rave reviews about one place.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: superroom, tips, etc.

I did not try all the sweets at Gerbeaud. Therefore, I cannot say if they were all not great. I did try the Gerbeaud chocolate cake and was not too impressed. Certainly, it was not bad.

I service I received was good.

I wanted to try Gundel but did not have the chance. I was so bumped. Maybe I did not miss much. Seems like you had a good trip.

turku
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: superroom, tips, etc.

I'm not an active member of the community but I read a lot here and I use this forum planning my getaways. This was the first time I really felt like posting something. I had to react about the some posts here.

I'm traveling to Budapest quite often, like twice a year. I like the people and the city itself it was for me love for the first sight... I started to stay at the superroom with Marton after reading about him here 2 years ago. Before that I always stayed in hotels, but since I found him I stayed 4 or 5 times at his apartment. Also I recommended Marton's place to many of my friend's and relatives who also choose him and were very satisfied. I'm retired so I usually spend in Budapest a week or more so I also met other guests who were there at the same time and they were all very happy with the service.

I found Marton a great host, he is extremely helpful, with a very good knowledge of the city and maybe he's even too nice for the money he asks. I mean 14-16Euros for a person for a room is not too much... It's really more like staying with a friend and nothing compared to a hotel or a hostel. He's always there on time, if you ask something from him, like an extra blanket/towel he does it very fast. The apartment was always clean and there's nothing I could complain about... Maybe he makes mistakes also sometimes, but come on you should have realistic expectations for the money you pay and it's not a hotel, where there is a huge staff working.

So all in all I can totally recommend him, not for people get to use to posh hotels, but for real travelers, who like to meet locals and to have the real experience of a city. For me it's also positive that with the money I give him I'm supporting a student to pay his studies and his really nice family.

9. Re: superroom, tips, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 02:19