We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which guide book?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Which guide book?

What guidebook would people recommend getting? Lonely Planet, Rough Guide or Eyewitness Travel Guides?

I've always quite liked the Eyewitness Travel Guides, but I went to Krakow a few months back and there were quite a few errors in it

Thanks

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which guide book?

I don't really have a favourite. I do however always look first at the print date and also enquire as to whether there might be a new edition out before I travel.

We've just come back from Budapest and took the "Best of Budapest" from Lonely Planet. We knew we would only be visiting Budapest itself so weren't too interested in ones that covered the whole of Hungary. Having said that the book did cover areas close to Budapest itself and overall found it up to date.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which guide book?

I prefer Eyewitness guides...though I've never used any of the ones you mention. The Eyewitness guide for budapest has been updated within the last two years...should be rather up to date as not much has changed in Budapest.

Budapest
Level Contributor
348 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which guide book?

A good one if you like to walk around is a locally produced one called "András Török's Budapest, A Critical Guide" The author used to be a higher up in the Minstry of Culture, and gives you the real story behind buildings and its current and former inhabitants with going into boring details.

I believe it is only available at local bookstores here, but I think it is worthwhile as he lists various walks depending on the amount of time you have. The last printing that I'm aware of was in 2001, so some of it is out of date, but it does such an exemplary job of really letting you know about the history that the typical tour bus would not. Plus it has two handy maps of the city in the front and back cover.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which guide book?

I used the Eyewitness guide for historical info and planning out the trip (I like to look at the pictures to get a sense of what looks worth visiting) but I visited museum websites for accurate times and prices just because I believe most books can't keep up with things like that and I don't want to show up on a Tuesday and find out that museum isn't open that day. But I carried the book into Matyas Church and places like that to get additional background on what I was looking at.

I also had the Rough Guide to Hungary and used the section on Budapest which did recommend the correct bus to get up Gellert Hill without walking. I was pleased that that info was correct.

But I didn't use the books for restaurant or hotel info. I used TA for that.

:)

5. Re: Which guide book?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 06:18