We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes shopping in Budapest

vancouver
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Clothes shopping in Budapest

Hi

My wife would like to go shopping for clothes in Budapest, is a there a particular suitable area(s)? Thanks.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
604 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothes shopping in Budapest

I don't think this is the answer you want but on my previous visits to Budapest I found clothes to be really expensive!

Maybe you can do a day trip to Dresden by train to get clothes at better prices.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothes shopping in Budapest

Dresden? Dresden is in Germany, 700 kms away from Budapest, isnt it?

try the now oh-so famous outlet centers, the premier outlet center, or the gl outlet center. the first at m1 motorway right after budaörs, the other one is at törökbálint, both of them is 20-25 minutes from the city centre by car (if there is no traffic :))

or do a day trip to Parndorf, austria, home of the original outlets, its basically an outlet town :)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothes shopping in Budapest

oh and if you want to stay in the city, i would suggest you to try the shopping malls. westend is the biggest in eastern europe, however i prefer mammut. or if i were you my third choise would be the árkád.

(so mammut - at széna tér, with the red metro line get off at moszkva tér, ot with tram 4/6 széna tér is right before moszkva tér stop, the end destination.

westend is at westend railway station, its on the blue metro line, and you can also reach it by the tram 4/6, with the similar stop name.

árkád - its at the end station of the red metro line, at örs vezér tere)

and the other choise can be the váci street - main pedestrian area, or andrássy street, more and more shops open there, but these 2 are definitely more expensive than the malls.

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothes shopping in Budapest

Believe me clothing in Budapest is expensive and the choice is quite bad. I used to go to Vienna or Parndorf, both in Austria, when living in Budapest, to shop clothes.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothes shopping in Budapest

I was in Budapest in early September. I hate to spoil your need to shop for clothes there, but the shopping for clothes is nothing great. You would do better at home then in Budapest not only in quality but also the prices.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothes shopping in Budapest

I agree, prices in Budapest are more expensive when it comes to clothes...not sure thay I would agree the quality is any less...Eastern Europe has a bit of a unique fashion, thus there may be some things that, regardless of the price, you may be interested in.

I would agree with Budapest...Mammut and Westend are you're best bets...they are connected by the 4/6 tram. I think Westend is a typical mall like you'd see anywhere else, though it is huge...Mammut has a few more botiqiues and is just, all around, more appealing in my mind. When you leave the mall, if you walk the street that connects Westend to the Octogon....Terez Korut, there are also some shops there.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothes shopping in Budapest

My son lives in Bpest, he comes home to the UK to buy his clothes, cheaper and better choice. I cannot believe that Vancouver doesn't have a better choice.

Vienna has nice shops, probably expensive by NA standards, but only 3 hours by train.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
604 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothes shopping in Budapest

Budapest 183, whoops, so sorry i was thinking I was writing for the Prague forum as the guy asks the same question there that's why I said Dresden!

Anyway as others have pointed out B'pest isn't so cheap for clothes and like others said it would be almost cheaper to do a day trip to Austria, and that's saying something about the prices in B'pest as Austria isn't cheap either!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothes shopping in Budapest

:) its okay, you really do not need to be sorry :)

otherwise, it would be a nice day trip also.... 16 hours on the train, but there is still 8 hours left for shopping :):):)

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
604 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothes shopping in Budapest

Bud 183, I don't think a 16 hour ride on a train would be such fun! Beside I already know that I would prefer to be in your beautiful city rather than sit on a train for so long!

Usually I'm not so dumb when it comes to knowing where places are in Europe.

I'm happy that you did point out my big mistake or some other visitor would be thinking that a trip to Dresden would be a good idea!

In fact I will be in Prague at the end of this month and do plan a day trip to Dresden so I will tell you how it was, but thankfully for me the train ride will only take 2.5 hours (if I get on the right train!).