We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Baths

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
194 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Which Baths

I am travelling to Budapest with my husand from 26-30 December. Would like to try out the baths - as everyone says that it is a must. We will be staying at the Sofitel. Given the time of the year - can anyone recommend the best baths to visit

I want to go to a co-ed one

I have read the various posts and cannot work out which would be the best

Thanks

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Baths

I think all the posts scream SZECHENYI!!! It's by far the base and fully coed.

I think there are probably only a couple of special circumstances posts where people have alternatively recommended Gellert.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Baths

Hi

Does anyone know if the baths will be open during the new year period? We will be there Mon 31 Dec - Weds 2 Jan and I would like to try as many as possible! Do you think any will be open?

Thanks a lot

Hungary
Level Contributor
334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Baths

Hi,

on 31th Dec. - Baths are open till 13:00

on 1st Jan - Szechenyi and Gellért partly open from 10:00 till 18:00

2nd Jan - I suppose, regular opening hours

Source of information:

http://www.spasbudapest.com/tartalom.php

Suwanee, Georgia
Level Contributor
279 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Baths

Szechenyi !

My wife and I enjoyed it greatly in September.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Baths

Hi Marcolet,

I went to Gellért at the end of Nov/beginning of Dec. It was co-ed. Things can be a bit confusing there regarding the facility and where to go while you are in that vast complex etc. TimeOut did a decent job of explaing the procedure about these places.I am not endorsing or suggesting that you use the guide. I actually no longer like it as the guides contain too many errors/inacurracies.

When I first got there, I thought the heated pools were the only thing there. After poking around a bit, there were lots more.

Bring your own towels and bathrobe from the hotel. I believe that the towel policy is different for different places, some offer them to you and some don't (or you have to rent.) I am glad that I brought mine. Also, bring lotion and cream. After all the soaking and swimming, your skin will get dry and it won't be pleasant in the cold weather. I regret that I did not bring any.

I only went to Gellért therefore cannot make any comparison. The Art Nouveau swimming pool was very nice and stunning looking. Overall, there would be no complain or negative to write about this place. However, the heated pool area can get really loud. It was deafening for me. People were not screaming or anything like that. Seemed like it was just the acoustic of the building.

Hope this helps a bit.

Rome
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Baths

My favorite is RUDAS! Its a turkish bath from middle ages. Just cross the Elizabeth Bridge to Buda side. From Sofitel would be 15 minutes by walk.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Baths

Szola - thanks for your response!

Elizabeth

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
194 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Baths

thanks for all replies - really looking forward to my trip now

9. Re: Which Baths

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 12:24