We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest for solo travellers?

l00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest for solo travellers?

I'm recently back from Krakow, my first solo trip, and I'm now getting itchy feet again! Can anyone offer advice if Budapest is a safe/friendly place to visit alone? Or have you any other suggestions for my next jaunt? Krakow was so easy to visit I fear I've been spoilt! Until I am more confident on my own I prefer to rely on advice!

Thank you :-)

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest for solo travellers?

loo,

Budapest is far larger than Krakow. However, I've recently returned from a solo trip to Budapest (and a few other places), and I found it quite safe. I'm not into the night scene, so that might be something you want to check further on. There is a lot of advice on this forum for you to check out! I love the place.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest for solo travellers?

loo,

Budapest is far larger than Krakow. However, I've recently returned from a solo trip to Budapest (and a few other places), and I found it quite safe. I'm not into the night scene, so that might be something you want to check further on. There is a lot of advice on this forum for you to check out! I love the place.

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
620 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest for solo travellers?

Hi 100

Solo trips are very addictive! I'm off for a solo visit in March and my itchy feet are starting to get a bit nervous now it's getting near although I'm also really looking forward to visiting! I absolutely agree with the previous poster - this forum offers great positive advice and has been invaluable for planning my trip. Everything I've wandered about has been replied to almost immediately or is covered here somewhere.

Krakow is also on my list - it sounds as if it was a good destination for a solo trip.

Have a great time in Budapest

Deb

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest for solo travellers?

I've just come back from a solo trip to Budapest. It is a great place to visit. I've also been to Krakow too, so I know how spoiled you may be. Budapest is different but still interesting. And a great public transportation system. I say go for it!

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest for solo travellers?

Hi, apart from Krakow where else is safe/friendly for a solo trip for female travellers?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest for solo travellers?

How about Pecs? Or Kosice in Slovakia? I;ve been to both on my own and have had a fine time. (OK - was mainly travelling in and out of Kosice, but I'm going back on my own.)

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
620 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest for solo travellers?

My husband doesn't like travelling or flying and my friends like to lie on a beach all day so I have the choice of staying at home, lying on a beach all day (I live on the coast!) or travelling off by myself - no contest! I went to Cairo two years ago - as this was my first solo trip I was just a little nervous when the plane landed but I had an absolutely fantastic time. I hired a guide for three days then spent the last two days by myself. Everything was amazing - the Mosques, the architecture and the food.

Last year I went to Palermo, Sicily, for a few days. Although completely different again, it was a fascinating mix of architecture, beach, catacombs and mountains.

The only problem I've ever had as a solo traveller was in Palermo where absolutely everything closes between 12 and 3pm apart from restaurants - when I was there it rained, so I had the choice of either spending 3 hours eating my lunch or 3 hours sheltering in doorways!

I absolutely love travelling by myself - apart from the fact I can be totally selfish about what I want to do, I also find myself making more effort to speak to other people!

Deb

8. Re: Budapest for solo travellers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 15:20