We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timers in budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
burton on trent
Level Contributor
241 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
first timers in budapest

Hi we are really looking forward to our trip in early feb. would be greatful for info on weather, theatre, restarants,day time things to do. we are staying at kapital inn. two married couples 40,s not looking for clubbing but jazz/ music bars with attmosphere. many thanks sally

California
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timers in budapest

Hi Sally,

We were there in the middle of October so I am not sure about weather... but as far as things to do I will share our favorites: The baths were heavenly! We went to the Szechenyi Baths in City Park - worth every forint. We went in the late afternoon so we could be there when the "locals" were there. Great Market Hall is worth checking out - its an amazing farmers market with fresh everything (meats, cheeses, pastries, and of course veggies/fruits). we had lunch there and it was very good. The Terror Museum is very interesting if you are interested in Nazi/Communist history in Budapest - note - if you go, rent headphones! it is totally worth it.

We stayed on the Pest side and walked over to the Buda side and found we liked it over there much more! It is quieter and a little less crowded and also very beautiful. If you like to walk, walk over the Liberty bridge and through the park to the castle then walk back to the Pest side on the Chain Bridge. Its a great walk and gives lots of sightseeing and picture taking opportunities.

Two restaurants we really enjoyed:

Marquiz de Salade - 1066 Hajos Utca 43 great food, a range of prices but not expensive. We had some vegetarians and meat eaters in our group and everyone left very satisfied with happy bellies. The waiter was the most friendly local person we came across in the entire city :)

Shalimar - Indian food - Dob utca 50 (around the corner from Franz List Square) The best Indian food we had in Europe.

Sorry this got so long - let me know if you have any questions! :)Katie

burton on trent
Level Contributor
241 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timers in budapest

thanks katie, your info is most useful. what do we need to take to wear at the turkish baths?

California
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timers in budapest

Hello,

We brought swimsuits and towels (I think they charge extra $ for renting towels) and sandals and a camera. The baths are quite an efficient operation - once you pay you get ushered to a little changing closet to change into your swimsuit. You can leave your clothes in the closet and the door will be locked until you come back to change once you are done swimming. There are pools inside and outside. The outside pools are fabulous! The temperature of each pool varies so you can find one that is right for you. I also brought a book but I ended up spending most of my time people watching and floating in the pools :)

Hull, East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
9 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first timers in budapest

hi

fat moe's on Nyary Pal off Vaci utca good food and drink live artist playing a mixture jass/folk.open till late .

mark2112

Budapest
Level Contributor
215 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timers in budapest

The weather in early February can be very cold in Budapest. I think it's also common that we have snow then. Maybe it would be too cold for the long walk that Sally advised, but we will know more about the weather at the end of January :)

Budapest
Level Contributor
215 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first timers in budapest

Sorry I mixed up the people - Katie advised you the walk :)))

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first timers in budapest

Hi all

Kates821 said:-

<<<Hello,

We brought swimsuits and towels (I think they charge extra $ for renting towels) and sandals and a camera. >>>>>

May I ask, can you take pictures inside Szechenyi Baths in City Park?

Thanks

DAVE

Bristol UK

http://djmp.co.uk/bvp/

burton on trent
Level Contributor
241 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first timers in budapest

sorry dave but i think we may get into trouble taking photos in the baths. But if it is allowed i will try. There certainly won't be pictures of me posted on the net. lol sally

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first timers in budapest

We visited Pest in Nov 07, indeed the weather was cold, but bright blue skies and sunshine, we wore thermals from M&S! I highly recommend the Cafe Central (www.centralkavehaz.hu). It is so stylish and a wonderful place to just grab a coffee or have something to eat. It's like you haved stepped back in time. Service is amazing too. It is on the corner of Karolyi Mihaly Utca and Iranyi Utca. We found the Gerbeau (Vorosmarty Sq) to be a bit touristy if you know what I mean! Another popular place to eat was Pampas (a steak resturant) but was fully booked for our last night in Pest, you really need to book in advance. It is on Vamhaz Korut in the 5th district. (www.steak.hu)

For the daytime I recommend the 3hr bus trip taking in all the tourist places in both Buda and Pest, especially if you can tack on the trip to Parliament - it is worth it to see the Crown Jewels.

We also visited the Museum (you can get an English headset to wander around with), and then the Opera (just a guided tour - next time we really want to see a performance) both places are amazing and not the kind of thing I would normally visit in the UK! We also visited the Synagogue tour just to use up some time, and also recommend that. A day time boat trip is also worthwhile as you see a diffent view from the river. For the ladies try to visit the Mammouth Shopping Centre for 3 floors of Hungarian consumerism, not that we managed to buy anything to our taste! Although we did get our usual chocs and booze for our 'take home pressies' from the Supermarket here as the prices were the best we'd found.

There was a place called the Jazz Gardens (www.jazzgarden.hu) close to where we stayed - Hotel Zara (great hotel, thin walls!) - but we didn't visit.

Heard the architecture in the Zoo is fantastic but didn't get to visit, hope to in 2008 maybe during the Red Bull air race.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first timers in budapest

Budapest is a great tourist city and very safe. We have been there twice this year, and again a few years ago. The weather can be cold in winter, and the wind up on the castle is cold, but just the more reason to stop into the small bars for a coffee or drink. Maybe we have been lucky, but never had a language problem and met some great people. The city market is a must and you can spend almost half a day there...then head down Vaci Street which is just out the front door of the market and across the street. Prices are great and I can recommend a GREAT restaurant on Raday Ute (Street) just south of the Kalvin Ter metro stop. The restaurant is CAFE SOUL. It's about 200 years south of the Ibis hotel and the food has been great every time we have been in. It does get a bit smoky at times, but it is tolerable. Your best buy around town is the BUDA card with gives you unlimited transportation other than the funicular and discounts on just about everything, including many of the stores. Even items on sale or already with a discount, the BUDA card discount goes on top. I always pick one up at the airport. There is a airport shuttle from the airport to the hotels and it runs around 12.00 each. They also will pick you up on the return if you book it or have the hotel book it for you. The metro and trams are a piece of cake, just write down the last stop on the line you want to travel on to make sure you are going the right direction....The Metro is fast, efficient and clean. O'Buda is also very intersting and a nice train ride on the metro. There is a good metro map that you can download off the net and FEYTAG and BERNDRT have great maps of the city and the metro you can purchase before you leave home.

Have a great time. We always do in Budapest...