We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest now rip-off capital of Europe!

London
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Budapest now rip-off capital of Europe!

I've been going to Budapest for many years and what a beautiful place it is to.However the greed of the restuarant owners is depressing. They are now charging London West End prices for terrible food. We went to "Goa" in Andrassi, supposedly a fine restuarant. I had a "Jumbo Prawn Starter" at 10,000 ft.........what did I get? 6 standard size prawns roughly arranged around a pot of mayonaise. For seconds I had a chicken curry, that was no better than a Sainsbury's heat it yourself. Another niggle, was the harrassment from waiters regarding their service charges. We went out and ate in about 10 different restauarants and they were all dreadful and expensive.

The only beacon of light was the restuarant in the Marriot, which was superb and reasonably priced.

Oh by the way, the staff in these restuarants are still on appalling wages, so there is no excuse for the rip-off prices.

Budapest used have great food and great service, unfortunately its all gone down the toilet.

Go to Paris instead.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest now rip-off capital of Europe!

Interesting alternative suggestion -- I don't think anyone will argue that Paris has some of the best food in the Western hemisphere, but reasonably priced, it sure ain't!

Sorry you had such a miserable experience with restaurants in BP -- but what guides were you looking at that pointed you in those directions? Did you ask for advice on here?

When I was in BP I had a pretty good time dining out -- it's hardly the haute cuisine capital of the world, but there's plenty of good eats to be had. Had a nice 3-course meal and excellent bottle of wine for about 60 USD/person at Muzeum, and comparable (and much more stylish/contemporary) at Menza.

Off the guidebook-beaten path, there are a lot of great little hole-in-the-wall places that are both good, filling, "local", and very affordable.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest now rip-off capital of Europe!

The problem is the downward spiral of quality over the last 10 years that I've been going. I've been to Budapest about 20 times and believe me in the early days the food was excellent and reasonably priced.

it almost breaks my jaw to admit that London is actually cheaper and better to eat out in.

The 3 worst and most expensive restuarants were recommended by a local, who should know better, they were:

Pomodoro: Terrible and expensive Italian.

Goa: I've already mentioned.

Pertu Station (Used to be great, now shoddy service, cold food and expensive)

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
London
London
England, UK
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest now rip-off capital of Europe!

I have to say - as someone who has been a regular visitor to Hungary for more than 30 years - that I totally disagree with you. Standards in Budapest restaurants are higher than they have ever been, and prices in the very best places are still reasonable by UK standards.

I haven't been to Goa, but I avoid any restaurants in that area - surely one look at the price list should have told you they migh be having a laugh ? 10k, that's nearly £30, I would want a dusky maiden soothing my fevered brow for that price.

My only grumble is that most restaurants now serve either 'internationalised' versions of Hungarian dishes, or no Hungarian dishes at all, but that, I am told, is progress.

Next time, try Hunyadi Kisvedeglo in Vorosmarti Utca, or the Roma restaurant in Csalogany Utca, the name escapes me for the moment, two of you could eat fantastically for less than the cost of your prawns.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest now rip-off capital of Europe!

who told you to go to goa? just because its located on andrássy avenue it does not mean that its good, or its worth to go there. the best restaurants are usually not in the tourist areas. and i mean all the restaurants at liszt ferenc tér, including menza. it may be trendy and fun, but foodwise... well, when i was there the soup was cold, main course was not half good, and not to mentioned that its very expensive... believe me there are much better places. next time you may try rézkakas, or café pierrot, or café kör....

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest now rip-off capital of Europe!

Hi Elnombre,

Having been coming to Budapest for so many years, I would expect you would have made contacts with the locals to send you to the best restaurants - not the trendy spots that tend to overcharge and underserve in many ways. Goa? As a local, it is clear to me from location, prices and local reputation that it is a tourist trap. Actually Goa specifically is known for just that - an over-hyped disappointment. Check out many of the restaurants recommended here, including some of my past posts. Maybe your next visit will be more successful.

I do recommend that the prices are high and going higher, although not (yet) real close to city center London pricing!

Happy travels?

Jeremy

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
London
London
England, UK
London
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest now rip-off capital of Europe!

No I'm sticking to my guns here, I spoke to a number of waiters who said they were earning around £2/3 per hour + tips. Bearing in mind the business rates and overheads etc would be a fraction of London's rip off prices, I would expect the menu prices to reflect this. My gripe is with the greedy owners who will succeed in killing Budapest off as a beautiful city that we can afford to visit regularly.

My son is a cocktail barman in one of London'e most expensive hotels The Mandarin Oriental where a cocktail is £15.00, however in salary and tips he earns around £25,000 PA and can you imagine the charges for running a building in Knightsbridge!

I wouldn't mind paying the high Budapest prices if I knew the staff were on good wages too.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Budapest
Level Contributor
537 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest now rip-off capital of Europe!

Yes, Goa isn't nearly the restaurant that it used to be. Unfortunately, the restaurants here go through management and/or ownership changes and this can change a very good restaurant into one that isn't worthwhile. (like Goa the aforementioned Menza) It seems like a lot of the places here would rather coast and cash in on their good location. I think we're seeing more of this recently in Budapest over the past year or so, and waitstaffs and kitchens have gotten even more uneven in their service.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
stockport
Level Contributor
517 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest now rip-off capital of Europe!

OK guys have read all the comments, can you reccommend me 2 restaurants - staying at the Carlton, so I guess we are not in the heart of the touristy area.

Thanks

London
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest now rip-off capital of Europe!

Honestly as a fan of eating out, I'm afraid I've got to recommend the restuarant inside the Marriot. I had scallops to start which were superb followed by a perfect steak and believe or not...........it was all served piping hot! I'm sure i'll be berated for suggesting an American owned outfit could do better than the Hungarians........but i'm afraid it's true.

On NO ACCOUNT go to the Thai restuarant next door, we waited 45 minutes for a soup and the rest of the meal had so much salt in it, I drank a gallon of water later on.Oh yes and did i mention we were nearly assaulted by the crazed waitress, when we suggested that we might not pay the service charge. I was half expecting to be chased out by the kitchen staff holding cleavers, like in one of those Bruce Lee films!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budapest now rip-off capital of Europe!

I'll recommend Cafe Kor wholeheartedly...one of the best meals I've had, but traditional Hungarian it is not. Their dishes are based on Hungarian cuisine, but it has an international twist.

To the original poster...I'm in no way going to say there aren't ripoff restaurants in Hungary...but where on earth did you eat where you were charged 10,000 ft for an appetizer of prawns? There have only been a couple meals where I have paid 10,000 fts for a meal for two. Most of the restaurants have menus posted for your viewing before you even step inside the door and as a person who has an appreciation for fine dining, unless you like to part with your money, it's bad practice to go to pricey restaurants on a regular basis without getting recommendations. In the absence of recommendations, I most often go to cheap places.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe