We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Stephen's Day - RFI

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
St. Stephen's Day - RFI

Well our hotel is booked so we'll be in Budapest for three nights from 19th, keeping up with our tradition of accidentally ariving in new places during major festivals.

We like fireworks, crowds, music etc. Does anybody have any recommendations for things not to miss? Are there any on-line prorammes or similar available?

Also, when we visit Barcelona's fabulous Merce festival there's never time at night to go to any bars so we usually mix up a bottle of vodka and something else to energise ourselves from time to time. Does Hungary have any restrictions on alcohol in public places?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Stephen's Day - RFI

Hello,

Ooh, lucky you, I love st Stephen's Day.

The best thing to do is to bring your fortification juice to the steps of Parlament to watch the fireworks on the river. Last time I was there, there were no open container laws, though I remember hearing a rumor some were proposed.

Also, just FYI, things (like the barge launching the fireworks, for example) tend to catch on fire during the show, but as this happens every year, no one will get too agitated and they will efficiently deal with it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,691 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Stephen's Day - RFI

St. Stephen's day is fantastic...there is usually a plane race that goes on over the river throughout the day...quite fun to watch. They fly the planes under one of the bridges. Crowds are bad, but no so bad that it's hard to move around. Of course the fireworks are at night. This used to be withina week of Budapest Parade, which was a fantastic festival (a takeoff from the Berlin Love Parade), but unfortunately it no longer exists.

Beware...most things close at 3:00 the day before St. Stephan's Day and don't reopen until the day after...this includes grocery stores, restaurants and pretty much everything outside of non stops.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Stephen's Day - RFI

restaurants are not closed during st stephan's day. its only very hard to find one where free tables available, especially restaurants from where you can see the fireworks.

and the best view you can get is from the danube corso. i think if you're in front of the parliament, you cant see lots of beautiful things (like fireworks on the chainbridge - not on the side where the parliament is)

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Stephen's Day - RFI

Thanks all for the great advice. Keep it coming.

We've learned during all the great festivals that we've blundered into (La Merce, Koenigensdag, Goa Carnaval, Frankfurt at New Year, Rhine wine festivals, Semana Santa in Granada and more) not to worry too much about restarants - I take there will be street food/take aways open? We'd rather risk a dodgy doner than miss something exciting.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Stephen's Day - RFI

Hi pandachris2,

Well......you and about 1.5 million of your new Hungarian friends will be together enjoying the celebration on the 20th! The riverfront is jammed with people, food, and fun (if crowds are your thing).

I believe the Red Bull airplane race is scheduled for the same time frame. If so, I suggest making your way to the riverfront on the 19th around 14:30ish when the planes make their practice runs. I was down there last summer and got to see a great show with almost no one else around.

You'll have your choice of many traditional foods up and down the river front, along with many cold beverage offerings. Again, it can be fun if crowds are your thing. The fireworks show is one of the best I've seen and enjoy it from a far (hills of Buda). During the celebration, you'll be able to walk around with open alcohol - just use common sense.

Have fun!

Jeremy

Budapest
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Stephen's Day - RFI

There is a handicrafts fair as well on the street leading up to the Royal Castle from the Funicular lower terminus. (Chain Bridge Buda side)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,691 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Stephen's Day - RFI

I forgot about the alcohol thing...I don't remember seeing so many people with open alcohol....but during New Years there are bottles of champagne everywhere as was the case with Budapest Parade...so I don't think open alcohol on the street is illegal, but with the exception of a few events it is done using some discretion.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Stephen's Day - RFI

Thanks all.

We're fine with crowds bent on enjoying themselves, and we'll have my 6' 3" (and still growing) Rugby Union playing eldest son to hide behind.

It sounds like our usual vodka in a coke bottle plus several bottles of suitable mixers will be the way to play it. Works pretty well in Barcelona.

Waht about toilets? If we're going to be there from mid-afternoon they could become an issue. Is it possible to get served quickly in bars? We've far too much dignity to use their facilities without at least buying a drink.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Stephen's Day - RFI

Time torevitalise this one I think as the holiday must be getting closer (had to fetch my eldest from Bristol on Friday because his university year has finished).

Can anyone tell me

1) is there a published timetable/programme for the day's events and

2) will there be any live music performances in public places - and if so, where?

Cheers

Chris

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Stephen's Day - RFI

these kinds of information is being published only a couple of days earlier.

unfortunately the opera schedule is the only program which is known well ahead, no other thing is :S:(

according to last years the red bull air race will start around 10-11 am

during breaks there will be programs at clark adam tér and roosevelt tér (2 ends of the chainbridge), it means some local folk music as well if i remember right

iso the main happenings will be at the danube shore

and around 9 pm, when it is dark, the fireworks begin. its app. 30-40 minutes long! and beautiful.... if the weather is good :)