We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling for the best cake shops and cafe in Budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Calling for the best cake shops and cafe in Budapest

Dear all TAs:

I am heading to Budapest next week. As far as I know, Budapest is famous for its grand cafes and wonderful pastries. Can anyone recommand me some of best of the best cafes and cake shops in Budapest. I won't mind spend a bit extra for this. Is there a tyical Hungarian cake or pastry? Sorry about my silly but delicious question.

Best,

Cherryx

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling for the best cake shops and cafe in Budapest

check out gerbeaud, ruszwurm, or gerlóczy café

cakes, like gerbeaud, eszterházy cake, fekete erdő cake (black forest cake, it may be not original hungarian) dobos cake, rigó jancsi, oroszkrém cake (russian cream cake) maybe these are traditional? i dont know, these just popped into my mind :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling for the best cake shops and cafe in Budapest

Jegbufe...great cakes but they don't have seats.

Budapest
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling for the best cake shops and cafe in Budapest

My wife has a sweet tooth and always recommends Daubner Cukrászda. It doesn't have great aesthetics and is crowded a great deal of the time.

http://tinyurl.com/3xndlr (has a Google map of it flagged)

Milano
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling for the best cake shops and cafe in Budapest

I agree:

in Pest: gerbeaud (chic) and Jegbufe (very common among hungarians - quite cheap)

in Buda: ruszwurm (always full of people: it has a small room in the back with few chairs)

Ciao,

Margherita

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling for the best cake shops and cafe in Budapest

Hello Cherryyu,

Vladimir is absolutely correct - the best cake shop without a doubt is Daubner. This is a gem that all of the locals know. While Daubner serves excellent cakes, pastries and other wonderful confections, it is not a cafe.

The most "grand" cafe is the New York Cafe which is marvelous. My favorite is Gerloczy, while I think Gerbaud is nice but overly touristy...

Enjoy!

Jeremy

UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling for the best cake shops and cafe in Budapest

Hello all wonderful TA:

Thank you very much for these delicious recommandation. I will try my best to try most of places you have mentioned earlier. The best way of burning all these calories are walking around Budapest without taking public transport. I suppose that eating cakes in Budapest is a serious matter.

Best,

Cherryx

Budapest
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling for the best cake shops and cafe in Budapest

Hello,

As a local who knows the pastry scene well :-), I do not agree with recommendations of obvious tourist traps like Gerbeaud or Ruszwurm. Not only are they overpriced, but the quality of the cakes also leaves a lot to be desired.

Instead, I usually take friends and relatives to the recently opened Szamos Confectionery at the Corinthia Grand Hotel Royal (it is not as expensive as it sounds), the Central Café and Restaurant at Ferenciek (turn-of-the-century interior and plenty of history), or even Café Mozart (opposite Szamos) - really, a joke with the music and staff wearing period costumes, but the cakes make it worthwhile!

If you are visiting Parliament or St. Stephen's, there is an inconspicuous little place on Bank Street that's worth a little detour in my opinion, called Sport (how the name was chosen is a mystery to me). It is mostly frequented by bank and state administration employees working in the area rather than by tourists, and the interior is nothing to write home about, but the cakes are superb.

Daubner's wares are undoubtedly superior quality, however the place is rather off the beaten track.

keighley
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling for the best cake shops and cafe in Budapest

hi, if you intend to go on the childrens railway then there is a fantastic cake shop on the way. Catch the no 90 or 21 bus from moscow terr, walk up the steps away from metro,get off at the austrian style restrurant,there is also a small supermarket and other shops here,it is also a stop for the cogwheel railway. Across the road is a cake and hand made chocolate shop and in the back is a lovely old fanshioned coffee shop, you can pick your cakes from the shop if you prefer and for 2 large coffees and 2 large cakes it only cost £5! If you catch the cogwheel up the hill to the terminus,walk up the road turn left towards the library you will find the station for the childrens railway which is an experience in itself. Hope this was helpful,enjoy your stay,we certainly did.

UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling for the best cake shops and cafe in Budapest

Thanks a lot wonderful TAS. I am sure I will become fatter after my cake trip to Budapest. But I wont mind.

Best,

Cherryx

Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calling for the best cake shops and cafe in Budapest

This is the best forum I've seen on this website. I too plan to spend a great deal of my visit in Budapest eating cake. Please give us an update on your adventures! Did you ever find which cake is the "typical" that a tourist must try? I'm also hoping to taste sour cherry soup. Did you find that in any restaurant?