We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How walkable is Budapest?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
How walkable is Budapest?

Are most of the attractions within say, 1 hr walking distance? Might consider doing alot of walking if the weather is good in Mid-September. Offers best opportunity to take lots of pictures.

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How walkable is Budapest?

Fineshot2000,

I was there this weekend just gone, we walked everywhere. I would estimate, that at a saunter you could walk from Hero's Square to the Chain Bridge in less than half an hour.

Graeme

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How walkable is Budapest?

Pest is flat as the proverbial pancake. Buda is hilly. I would use public transport where you can as it saves time - do a search to find out about the 3-day public transport pass.

I would say 45 mins for Graeme's route, but as he says, if you REALLY want to walk it then nothing you are likely to want to see is too far out - with the exception of Stautue Park.

Budapest
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How walkable is Budapest?

Hello!

I often do guided tours on foot in Budapest, and it is quite easy to walk around in the ciy, and within some hours you get to see the most important places and buildings. Everything is quite close, and things can easily be reached on foot. The only exception might be the Gellert Hill, though that can also be reached on foot, but because the way up is quite steep you get quite tired. But, that can also be reached on foot, if someone really want to!

But, if you come for several days, I would probably by a three day card or something!

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How walkable is Budapest?

If you like walking then you probably do it sometimes and in that case it shouldn't be a problem to climb up to Gellert Hill. it's a very good opportunity to take photos of the city.

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
619 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How walkable is Budapest?

Hi

I walked everywhere apart from when I caught the Metro to the Szechenyi baths. Even that, when I later checked on my map, would have probably been just a 40 minute walk from central Pest. No problems at all regarding seeing all the sights I wanted to, but I would recommend flat shoes! I know it sounds obvious but my sensible shoes had a slight heel and I nearly tripped a few times on cobbles along the riverbank and around Buda.

I visited in March and, although dry, it was very overcast and hazy. You should be able to get some fantastic photos in September.

Have a great time!

Deb

BELFAST
Level Contributor
435 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How walkable is Budapest?

Hi we are a couple late 40's. We were in Bud for 5 days stayed in the Corthinan Hotel (number 1 hotel on trip advisor)

We walked everywhere no problem - all the way to the Market Hall - across the bridge to gellert up the hill, back down again past the "fort" walked along the river ubtil we came to the the Funercilar railway and took it up to the castle area then walked to fishers mans (had a late lunch/coffee in that area) and back down to cross the bridge, walked to the parliment wallked back along the river side to the out door cafes near the intercontinal hotel for a well deserved drink. (In one day)

If you are reasonable fit and have the time you can walk to all the main sites, Round Margaret Island no problem

Sydney
Level Contributor
444 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How walkable is Budapest?

Hi,

As previous posters noted, it's a very walkable city.

I'd just add that the amount of walking you do would also be determined to some extent by how much time you're there and how cooperative the weather.

We were recently there for a week and the first 4 days walked everywhere from morning to night, saw the main attractions, 'discovered' some of our own, took lots of photos and generally enjoyed the atmosphere and character of the city.

Only then did we purchase a 3-day public transport pass to save some time when moving between different area that we'd already covered (more or less thoroughly) by foot.

Have a fun - and tasty! - time.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How walkable is Budapest?

Budapest is incredibly walkable, though, as has been pointed out, the metro can be a time saver. I think the mix of each method will depend on where you stay. I found that when I stayed on Hollo utca, just outside of Deak Ferenc Ter, I walked to everywhere except Szechenyi, Margaret Island and Castle Hill. But I've stayed in other, very central places before and because the metro system is so pervasive and awesome, I just hopped on the tram a couple stops instead.

Actually, the tram system is a great happy medium, now that I think about it. You can see everything as you travel along, but it's faster, though most stops are close enough together you can quickly hop off ans snap a few photos and then catch the next one.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How walkable is Budapest?

Definitely walkable, could be quite warm still in mid-September. We stayed near Kalvin Ter and walked to the castle area and back, but make sure you're not wasting time by walking between sights if you're on a short trip. Traffic is quite friendly and there are plenty of pedestrian crossings with lights. On those without lights, pedestrians don't seem to have priority, so don't assume this!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How walkable is Budapest?

As a general rule, traffic turning left at traffic lights must stop if there are pedestrians crossing or (thoeretically) waiting to cross.

However, as anywhere in the world, make sure they are going to stop before venturinng across the road.