We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you say....

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ker0wyn
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How do you say....

I will be going to Budapest for my honeymoon in October and I've been trying to memorize a few frases beyond "Hello" and "Do you speak English". I was wondering if anyone could tell me know to say "What do you suggest?" in Hungarian. I like trying new foods and want to eat at restaurants that aren't tourist traps (and are therefore probably less likely to have Enlish menus) so I thought this would be a good phrase to have in my pocket!

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
349 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you say....

Of some use, especially as provides clear pronunciation of the words: budapesthotels.com/touristguide/Englishd.asp

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,390 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you say....

Look for my post titled 'I've been to paradise' for an excellent restaurant near the centre of town and much used by locals.

I am off to Bpest again in 3 weeks, my wife has promised to take me to 'somehwere even better than the Hunyadi', if it is good I will post the details in a month or so.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you say....

Not specific to your request, but I found this free, informal guide to speaking Hungarian quite useful before my own trip. You can subscribe as a podcast, or just directly download the lesson MP3s from this site:

http://www.letslearnhungarian.net/

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you say....

And to answer your specific question:

"What do you suggest?" is "Mit ajánl?". "Mit" rhymes with the English "kit" and I actually don't know how to write "ajánl" down as there is nothing in English that is similar to the Hungarian "a".

I-ah-nl?

There are more sophisticated ways to ask for suggestions of course but this is simple enough so that you can remember how it was and I'm sure this will be understood.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,390 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you say....

Meat ay-aan-l ?

ker0wyn
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you say....

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm excited to make use of the websites suggested :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,742 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do you say....

Depending on how serious you are about learning the language, pick up this:

amazon.com/Yourself-Hungarian-Complete-Cours…

Since you will be one of the few that makes an effort to learn even basic greetings, I can assure you that your efforts will be rewarded.

Brasil
Destination Expert
for Curitiba, New York City
Level Contributor
932 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do you say....

Hi,

You can also try: http://www.single-serving.com/Hungarian/

There you'll find a printable booklet and some audio to better your pronunciation.

Viszlát

9. Re: How do you say....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 22:16