We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

using budapest main station

uk
6 posts
Save Topic
using budapest main station

its a good idea to buy a ticket out of budapest before you arrive there ie a return from brataslava because when i was there, there was 3 ticket booths open and 150 people waiting to buy a ticket out of budapest plus they have this system where you take a ticket from a machine with your number on then wait for your number to appear on a screen for you to actually go to the booth to buy a ticket, a bit like they use to have in the uk supermarkets for the meat cheese counters, i dont know if you can buy a ticket on the train instead of waiting 3 hours at the station

talendon
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: using budapest main station

The Hungarian State Railways is the worst service provider all over Europe.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: using budapest main station

there is no "main station" in Budapest.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: using budapest main station

Hi Steven,

I can't tell from your last couple of posts (since typing has no tone) whether you are angry, being provocative, genuinely trying to be helpful or some mix of the three. In any case, information like this can be added to the Wiki sections (Before You Go and Things To Do) which function as a sort of open source guide book. This puts it in context of being helpful and has a much longer shelf life than a forum post.

When you post them here, they are likely to first cause a bit of a row and then just fall off the front page where no one will ever again find your tips.

uk
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: using budapest main station

no im not angry, luckily i had a return ticket already to brataslava so i didnt need to que up, i was just giving people travel tips, i was a bit pissed off when i got 30 euro fine for only having 1 ticket instead of 2 when travelling on the underground, in vienna they have helpers at train stations to give tourists info and help but every country is different

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: using budapest main station

You may have been there at Keleti at a peak time. ? Last November, I used Nyugati for seat reservations, etc. Basically no lines.

The Metro-bus-tram system in Budapest is unforgiving about its rules. On the other hand, if one has done one's homework and abides by the rules, it's great.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: using budapest main station

PS I agree the train stations in Budapest are pretty ridiculous, and I was being earnest when I said you should add to the Wiki section :-)

7. Re: using budapest main station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 17:21