We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest in January

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest in January

I would love some input from all you experts. I am spending 4 nights in Budapest, and then have a couple of nights free. I would like to see a bit of countryside, without renting a car. These are the areas I am thinking of visiting, can anyone give me their input on likes and dislikes please. Where would you rather spend 2 nights and why?

Heviz

Sopron

Gyor

Bratislava

Eger

Pecs

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest in January

Not been to Bratislava.

I would go for Pecs, basically because it is bigger. There may be snow at this time, it will also be fr*gging cold (perhaps not by Seattle standards), which puts a limitation on what you can do. Pecs has more to offer 'indoors' than the other Hungarian towns, so is less limited by the weather. It is subjective, but I also think it is more beatiful than the others.

It is also the headquarters of a major wine growing area, so you can amuse yourself in the evening visiting bars/ cellars. Sopron and Eger also score on this one, so I make them equal second.

Of course, you may have no interest in wine....

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest in January

Thanks Roman,

Being from Seattle, I actually like cold, and dont mind rain. That is part of why I was thinking Heviz. Not so much into wine, as I am just wandering streets looking at old architecture. Also I really enjoy Thermals also. I really wanted to go to Brasov, but didnt realize how long it took to get there...:-(

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest in January

Just to be clear, we are not talking about Seattle winter cold in January BP (I mean, I know every year is different,. yadda yadda, but in general...). Not as bad as say Wisconsin or Michigan, but not tempered by the ocean the way Seattle is.

For 2 nights, I'd just go for Bratislava. Second on my list would be Sopron, which I have never been to personally but is on my list of places I intend to visit one of these trips.

Heviz and Eger have a lot of outdoor-focused draws, so it might be downright unpleasant.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest in January

Thanks nyuszi,

I was leaning towards Bratislava, but am really surprised at the price of hotels. I was thinking Heviz would be relaxing after running around the city for days, and the prices seem to be really reasonable. I just cant really seem to find much info about Heviz, such as trip reports. I might just play it by ear and go where ever I feel like it at the time. I am so excited to be going back to Budapest. Had a great time there 2 years ago, even with the major dental work!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest in January

Heviz is not much visited by English or US tourists, hence the lack of reports. If all you want to do is chill out it will be fine.

There is a radioactive thermal lake where you can swim in summer (has spa facilities as well), not sure if it is open in January, but it would be fun if it is.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
798 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest in January

if u prefer wandering the streets to look at old and historical architecture, Sopron would be perfect, and Gyor a close second. i found Bratislava to be overrated and overpriced -- too touristy for me, and nothing special about the city's architecture or layout. the only place worth seeing there (outside the town -- around 8 kms, and by bus) is the Devin castle, high above the confluence of the Morava and the Danube rivers -- now that one is impressive.

7. Re: Budapest in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 08:19