We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cog Railway to Funicular

Dublin
Level Contributor
136 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Cog Railway to Funicular

I'de like to travel from the Normafa hotel to the Castl;e District using the Childrens Railway, Gog Railway and finlly the Funicular. Can anyone tell me how the get from the gog to the Chainbridge and funicular????

I'd also like to know how frequently both trains run and if there is anywhere I can chaeck time tables. Thanks.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cog Railway to Funicular

Hello MP1Dublin,

Let me give this a shot.....(hopefully) another local can check my thoughts and confirm or correct me.

1. You can walk from the hotel to the childrens railway - it's fairly close, maybe a 5-10 minute walk. That will link you close to the Cog. (Alternatively, you can walk from your hotel to the Cog - maybe a 15 minute walk...)

2. The Cog railway runs frequently during the day (I'd estimate every 10-15 minutes). Take the Cog to the end stop at the bottom of the hill and exit the area. In front of the station you will find the tram line. Hop on the tram line (#156?) heading to your right. I think Moskva ter is the next stop (large transportation hub). Alternatively, you can walk from the final Cog train stop to Moskva ter - maybe 15 minutes...

3. From Moskva ter, you will take a bus into the castle district. The bus stop sits on the street "above" the square - there are many buses on the street. Your's is called the Var Bus and will have a little castle sign. As you walk up the stairs, the bus stop is across the street to your left.

4. Once inside the castle district, closer to the palace there are walking paths that can get you to the Chain Bridge. Alternatively, you can take the castle funicular down to the bottom.

Whew....I hope that is clear. Now, a complete (and easier) alternative route is to catch either the 121 or 90 bus that stops in front of your hotel. These buses will take you to Moskva ter where you can catch the bus like above.

Be sure to buy transport passes (I recommend multi-day passes).

Enjoy your adventure!

Jeremy

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,880 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cog Railway to Funicular

Make sure you get on the right train at the Children's Railway ! the stop near the hotel is very close to one end of the line (the cog railway end) but a long way from the other (obviously).

As Jeremy says, it's a short walk from the hotel to the cog railway, which might be a better idea.

Alternatively you can catch the railway to the other end and get a bus to Moskva Ter (forget know the number). You can always get the cog railway back up the hill.

Public transport passes are valid for the cog railway but not the children's railway: you can buy tickets on the train.

http://www.cleeve.com/budapest/

http://www.gyermekvasut.hu/english.html

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,880 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cog Railway to Funicular

From the map, it appears that the 56 tram runs from the other end of the Children's Railway.

Budapest
Level Contributor
215 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cog Railway to Funicular

I assume you'd like to travel this way only to use all the 3 interesting vehicles.

One note: if you have pass for BKV (Budapest Transport System) you can't use that on Children's Railway and the Funicular. They accept that only on the Cog Railway.

Your hotel is very close to the Cog railway I don't think it would worth to use Childrens Railway for only one station. I would recommend to use Childrens Railway to go to an other destination - maybe for visiting Janos hill lookout tower: it's a nice walk from the train station to the tower.

There are no direct connection between the Cog Railway and the Funicular. I would recommend tram 18 or 56 to Krisztina tér than bus nr. 105 to Clark Ádám tér.

Here you can check the Cog railways time-table (it is called nr. 60 from the last month):

www.bkv.hu/english/egyeb_aug21/60vissza.html

Have a nice trip!

Dora

5. Re: Cog Railway to Funicular

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 23:18