We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian Food

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vegetarian Food

Hi all

I've been living in Budapest for a full month now, and slowly but surely setteling in, my one problem is just the fact that I struggle to find good vegetarian food in the local supermarkets.

I am aware of all the vegetarian restaurants, but I was wondering whether anybody could tell me where I can buy the following two products in a grocery store:

Hummus

Tahini

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
298 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian Food

There is an middle east food store close to Ferenckorut next to the cinema.

and there is an Azsian super market in the main market at fovam ter.

DO not know if they have what you are looking for.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian Food

Hi londonmg:

You may want to give Culinaris a look. www.culinaris.hu/index_uk.html

While a bit expensive, the selection is solid and will likely have your items - as it stocks items more well known in Western Europe/the States. You can potentially even ring them and ask straight away, but the store (in District III) is worth a visit.

Good luck!

Jeremy

Budapest
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian Food

You can buy hummus and tahini in the Rotschild stores (e.g. Jaszai Mari square) and some Match supermarkets.

Budapest
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian Food

The Culinaris store in the 5th district (Balassi Balint utca) also sells hummus, a box costs something around 500 forints.

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian Food

Thanks everybody, really appreciate all your responses. Will definitely go check out all the stores over the weekend.

Its really tough being a veggie in Budapest, and although I miss all my vegetarian products, I am sure that I will find new flavours here in Budapest to inspire me and that I might end up liking:)

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegetarian Food

Just thought I'd let you know and maybe other expat vegetarians, that I just accidentally found this shop over the weekend that sells everything I need. I was so happy, I could cry:)

Its called Bioritmus and its in the Mammut Mall, great shop to buy organic products and vegan vegetarian food such as tofu sausages, "meat style" slices etc etc, unfortuantely they did not sell hummus, but I did find that at the Rothschild supermarket as the one of the readers suggested.

Cheers:)

budapest
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegetarian Food

Best selection of spices is definitely in the Asian shop in the cellar of Central Market. They also sell hummus, tofu, etc. fresh and of good quality.

budapestindex.com/shopping/shops/food-and-dr…

For hummus you can also go to Hummus Bar, they have a couple of cafes, and they also deliver

budapestindex.com/going-out/…hummus

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegetarian Food

'Its really tough being a veggie in Budapest'

wait until summer comes, there will be all the vegetables you could wish for. Try and get a recipe for lecso, my all time favourite (and my two boys also love it).

In the 1930's Hungary was known as the land of 3 million beggars, the peasantry were incredibly poor, so meat was viewed as a sign of wealth.

Under the communists meat became plentiful, so vegetarians were looked down on - I remember the waiters laughing when my wife tried to help an English vegetarian in a restaurant - I guess that was around 1985.

My late in-laws couldn't understand why anyone would want to go without meat - my father-in-law described it as lunacy: times have changed, (less so amongst the older generation) but culturally vegetarians are not viewed in the same light as they are here in the UK, where no-one bats an eyelid.

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegetarian Food

Thanks for the extra tips:) I found some hummus again last night, this time at my local Tesco supermarket (which is such a dissapointment for an English supermarket) and it was much more expensive than the one's I found at Kaizers and Rothschild supermarkets, but since its close (and some of the labels are in English) I've been going there for the past month, and finally they stock some hummus!

I had quite a laugh when I read the post of RomanCitizen, because when I first got here going out to a normal restaurant with my meat-eating other half, I asked about the vegetarian menu, and the waiters always reply...AAAAA...vegetarian...you want salad, yes?:) NO, I dont want salad!

Anyway, glad the old times are over now and I wont be frowned upon anymore, at least not because I'm vegetarian:)

Cheers!

SF, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegetarian Food

Hi, does anyone have any recs for restaurants with good vegetarian options? We will be traveling to Budapest in May and don't need an all-veg place, just some places with some good veg options!

Thanks so much!