We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals in Budapest for Visiting in the Countryside

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
96 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rentals in Budapest for Visiting in the Countryside

I have not seen many posts on people's experiences with car rental companies in Budapest. We will want a car for about a week for driving a couple of hours from Budapest to visit relatives and then doing some local touristing. We would like a pick-up at our hotel and a drop-off near a major metro station would be fine.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rentals in Budapest for Visiting in the Countryside

Hi rodntube,

Renting a car is typically not an issue here, although there have been some growing pains as the industry is still maturing here.

There are many companies on the market including: Avis, Regina, Hertz and Fox to name a few. I know hotels like the Intercontinental and Marriott have rental offices either inside or adjacent to their properties. If you are staying close to one of them (or in one) you'll be in luck with your request.

As for dropping off at a major metro station, I would suggest renting from a downtown location like above. You'll likely be close enough to walk to a metro station that can take you where ever you're headed next.

Enjoy Hungary,

Jeremy

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,681 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rentals in Budapest for Visiting in the Countryside

I've used Fox half a dozen times in Hungary without problems.

Don't use Budget, bunch of thieving Scumbags.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,681 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rentals in Budapest for Visiting in the Countryside

Some points about driving in Hungary:

Headlights must be switched on at ALL times when driving outside of built up areas (no idea why !)

The drink/ drive limit is ZERO - so no booze at all before driving.

Documents must be carried at all times (insurance, driving licence etc).

When driving on Motorways (Freeways?) you need a matrica (toll ticket) - the hire company should provide this, but check before setting off: they can be bought at any garage.

Hungary-Budapest
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rentals in Budapest for Visiting in the Countryside

hey

and more points about driving on motorways:

-on M1/M0 permanent speed cameras are installed

If I were you while driving outside of Budapest on highways,motorways I would fully respect the speed limits .

Maybe for you it goes without saying maybe not.

Fines were increased nowadays quite heavily.

I have seen hungarian police to point their cameras in very trick ways:-)))))

My favourite was on M3 motorway from a small but distant hill after a curve...

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rentals in Budapest for Visiting in the Countryside

We use Fox Autorent, which is lest costly and which operates out of the lobby and garage of the Intercontinental Hotel. You call and make your arrangements, and then go sit in the lobby until a Fox representative finds you and takes you to the garage. It’s a bit like trying to buy letters of transit at Rick’s Café Americain in Casablanca, but the service is good and the cars are fine, and the hotel is extremely centrally located.

http://www.foxautorent.com/

Europcar is also central, but more costly and less pleasant to deal with.

St Augustine
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rentals in Budapest for Visiting in the Countryside

I checked on several rental companies (last spring) and decided Fox was the best deal and they will deliver the car to your hotel or apartment as well as pick it up when you are done. One big issue that you will find especially in Budapest is PARKING! depending on the hotel or garage nearby, you will spend a small fortune paring the vehicle overnight. I would up renting for several days but had Fox pick up each night.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
96 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rentals in Budapest for Visiting in the Countryside

Many thanks! And please keep the comments coming as you have experience with rental cars in Budapest and Hungary.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rentals in Budapest for Visiting in the Countryside

depending on how long you will be in budapest, and where you will be staying, the best deal on parking i'm aware of is at the newish indoor garage on Realtanoda utca at Szep utca -- 15000 HUF for a week - also check everythingbudapest.eu/Budapest_Survival_Kit/…

9. Re: Car Rentals in Budapest for Visiting in the Countryside

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2009, 05:20