We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Location to Stay in Budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best Location to Stay in Budapest

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out where is the best location to stay in Budapest that is close by (walking distance) to the main attractions? What are the main attractions that I should stay near?

Thanks!

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Location to Stay in Budapest

This is actually a complicated question if you want a serious answer:

Start with the fact that Budapest is a comparatively small and manageable and walkable city. There is a large area within which one can stay and walk comfortably to most of the major destinations. A semicircle roughly 2 miles north-south, one mile east-west.

Continue to geography: like many cities built on rivers, Budapest has two distinct halves, one on each side of the Danube. Buda, on the west, is almost as hilly as San Francisco and is somewhat suburban. Families in Budapest want to live in Buda for the green, the parks, the walks and the feeling that one is not in a city center. It is not a great choice for most tourists.

Pest is almost totally flat and is on the east side of the Danube. With the exception of the Castle District, most major sights are in Pest. The semi circle I described is on the Pest side.

Now proceed to history: Again, like many river-centered cities, Budapest developed as a series of concentric semi-circles. The oldest city boundaries were within a tiny semcircle less than a kilometre from top to bottom; a part of this ring road has been lost but you can still see it on a map if you look for Vamaz korut, Muzeum korut and Karoly korut and imagine the arc to continue. This is still the very heart of the city, the Belvaros (city center).

But the center extends in practical terms to the second semicircle, the Nagykorut (defined by Ferenc Korut, Jozsef korut, Erzsebet korut, Terez korut and Szent Istvan korut. This is the semicircle I was describing and if you look at listings apartments and hotels within this arc describe themselves as being in the city center. You can in fact walk from anywhere within this arc to most major sights without much difficulty, stopping when you feel like it at one of Budapest's two most ubiquitous venues - a cafe (the other seems to be foreign exchange bureaux).

Perhaps more than you wanted to know, so I'll leave off and suggest you research the major sights question even among the most recent posts on TripAdvisor and then pick up with more specific inquiries.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Location to Stay in Budapest

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Location to Stay in Budapest

We were there very recently and stayed at the Marriott. Located on the riverside, every room has a lovely river view and the general location is ideal - walking distance to all of Pest and with the funicular up to the palace just across the river, much of the tourist attractions of Buda are in walking distance too.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Location to Stay in Budapest

The Marriott is an excellent base. As are the Intercontinental, LeMeridien, Four Seasons, Starlight Suites, Art'otel, Lanchid 19, and the Millennium. All are along the river and make good base camps. John gave you the layout, I thought I would share some places to have a look. There are many others, but these are all nice and vary by budget.

Enjoy the city.

Jeremy

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Location to Stay in Budapest

This is very helpful - thanks for the details!

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Location to Stay in Budapest

Permit me to make a not-totally-objective pitch for renting an apartment rather than staying in a hotel. We own several apartments and rent them out, but I'm not suggesting ours at all here -- TripAdvisor has a Vacation Rentals section, and http://VRBO.com, http://homelidays.com and many others have a wide selection to browse.

I'm simply writing to say that you get a different interaction with the city when you stay in an apartment than in a hotel. There are apartments at every level of luxury and in every location. And in general they cost less than hotels of comparable amenity.

7. Re: Best Location to Stay in Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2009, 05:17