We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amazing tour guide

toronto, on
Level Contributor
378 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Amazing tour guide

My husband and I just got back from Budapest and had the most amazing, knowledgeable and kind guide. She drove us to all the sites, walked us around and truly made out 2 days in Budapest full of history and wonderful sites. I highly recommend Gabriella Torok

licensed tour guide Hungary

www.privatetoursbudapest.com

Tel: +36 30 369 2662

Tel, fax: +36 1 226 1189

Budapest H-1222 Toldi M.u.18

terapet@t-online.hu

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Culinary Hungary Home Cooking Class and Market Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes, Food Tours
Cold War Private Tours Budapest
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours
Guidehungary - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Guide Hongrie
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
California
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amazing tour guide

Hi “bmarr”

Different subject, but I see that you were on the Avalon Tranquility River Cruise.

I would very like to here your views (pros & cons) regarding your cruise, as I think my husband and I will be on the same cruise that you took (Legendary Danube), which for us starts in Prague, on Sept 17, ‘09, for 3 days. then to Nuremberg for cruise to Budapest. We were on this same ship Tranquility (even the same cabin - #230) last year on the Rhine (Basil to Amsterdam) and liked it so much that we are doing a portion of the Danube this year. Hope to hear from you. Thanks.

Lori

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amazing tour guide

Thank you bmarr. sounds good.. and obviousley at a good rate... will check her out...

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,221 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amazing tour guide

Have I missed something? Might I know how this was 'obviously at a good rate'?

boston
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amazing tour guide

We also just came back from Budapest and had a 2 half day tour with Gabriella. She is quite wonderful, very personable, knowledgable, and with a good sense of humor. We were a group of 4 travelling together, and we all enjoyed her very much! She added little personal touches to the places she brought us and shared a lot of stories. We would definitely recommend her, two thumbs up!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amazing tour guide

Because John I feel that someone would NOT recommend a tour guide /hotel or whatever if they thought they were being ripped off!

I will of course do my homework directly with the person and make my own decision.... but having used tour guides for my small party wherever we have been I am hopeful to get a good deal..... John do you think she will be expensive and do you have someone else in mind??

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,221 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amazing tour guide

In general I find personal tours to be quite expensive, but it's all relative. They vary tremendously, though, and it's useful to know where in the range a guide falls I think. My recollection was that I found Gabriella's tours to be pricey when our guests described them to me, but they felt that she was worth the cost. So, my very indirect information suggests that she is at the higher end of the range and may well provide service that justifies that positioning. But I'm curious to hear from others who have actually comparison shopped.

One of the problems with rating tour guides is that very few people go on tours with more than one or two guides in a single city, and most guides are at least good in quality, so there exists very little information on which to base a sound comparative judgment. One hears mostly from satisfied customers who have no idea whether they would have been even happier with another choice.

That's still useful information. I do find it somewhat troubling that Gabriella has a page called "Tours and Prices" but does not state her prices. So, when someone says here in the forum that her prices are a good value, I hope they are speaking from knowledge, and would prefer some concrete sense of how much she charges to a statement that they must be a good value otherwise why would someone praise her.

toronto, on
Level Contributor
378 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amazing tour guide

My praises were based on her incredible accommodation she offered by driving us around due to my physical health issues. She dropped us off in front of all the sites, parked and ran after us - she quoted us her price based on what we had seen from our river boat tour and what she was going to show us. I had explored other guides, their costs and their planned itineraries. Gabriella was by far the most inclusive, after I had researched what I wanted to see, and by having use of her car we were able to do so much in 2 - half days. She was well worth what she charged and very much in range with other prices quoted by guides. Her pleasant personality was not only noted by us but by the people that new her by name at many of the places we visited.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amazing tour guide

Four of us will be going to Hungary for 4 days and after the glowing reports of Gabriella and after looking at her webpage, I would like to hire her as a tour guide. Unfortunately, as John says, she gives no idea of her charges. Could you please give me the average cost of hiring a tour guide and car for a day? Thanks!

One more question: we would like to visit Esterhazy Kastle on the way back to Vienna from Budapest. Can we do it in a day or should we spend the night nearby?

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
20 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amazing tour guide

Hi John,

I agree with most of your posted reply. Althoug, she does list her prices at her website. However, you need to click further once you reach the 'Tour & Prices' menu. On the left side of the page, there are two menus: one for Budapest Tours and one for countryside tours. If you click on either one, you will get the prices and a description of the various tours. For someone traveling on a budget, they are pricey, but for someone who would normally pay for a tour, I would say her prices are in order. :-)

Cheers.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,221 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amazing tour guide

Thanks doktor.s! Those links were not working when I tried them the day I posted, and indeed are still very difficult to make work in my browser (Safari) because it appears there's some overlapping code...but encouraged by your post I kept at it and found her rates (essentially 98 Euros for 4 hours of walking tour and 120 for a 4 hour driving tour.

Those rates are indeed at the high end of the range I'm familiar with, which can be as little as 'free' (actually, not exactly free but based entirely on the tips their customers choose to give; the tours offered by http://freebudapesttours.eu/ and apparently separately by http://www.triptobudapest.hu/ ; the former appears to use licensed guides, the latter not)> Other guides who have offered tours our guests have found excellent have on average charged 30-50% less than Gabriella does. My favorite tour guides (who offer only a specialized tour of the 8th District) charge on a per person basis and so their cost per hour is about the same as Gabriella's for two and a bit more for three (and of course a good deal less for one; http://beyondbudapest.hu).

Our the guests who have taken tours with Gabriella have consistently felt that they got good value.

Without having taken any of these tours except Beyond Budapest, I can't comment; but note that the forum would be well served by reports about other good (and bad, perhaps especially about bad) experiences.