We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not all rosy with ATM's in the Airport

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
12,451 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Not all rosy with ATM's in the Airport

My Son arrived this morning in Budapest Airport. Trying to get some forints from the ATM it said (issuer declined). Others travellers were experiencing this problem.

Thank goodness he had some sterling to exchange.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,049 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not all rosy with ATM's in the Airport

Two possibilities, i'd guess: either the issuer declined their cards - quite likely if they diod not inform the card issuer they were traveling; if they get the same message at an ATM downtown they need to call the home bank.

or a telecom error at the airport -- always possible though i've never seen it happen; there is another atm somewhere in the airport i believe for those departing, perhaps on the mezzanine?

in any event, always wise to let your home bank know before traveling (and to check whether the card will work in hungary; a small handful of banks embargo an unpredictable list of countries sometimes including hungary); i don't think we have stressed this enough on this forum lately

Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not all rosy with ATM's in the Airport

I find that the only bank in Hungary that guarantees giving me cash from their atm's is the OTP. I use and English credit and debit card both issued by the Abbey. Some other bank's atm's give me cash and some don't so to save frustration I always search out an OTP.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
12,451 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not all rosy with ATM's in the Airport

Thanks for your replies.

Having studied Murphy's Law for a number of years this is just a minor irritation.

This may well be the bank's Embargo.

Perusing this site for a couple of weeks and having read 'the start here' at the top I have only come across a similar instant from Woodykibworth in Feb 04 2008. She or he thought it may have been a blip (as I did when I read it). Most of the other recent postings talk about the charges and rates but not getting the money out.

So just a just a warning to others check with your bank first.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,049 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not all rosy with ATM's in the Airport

There are two major international banking networks Plus and something else (Cirrus?), basically i think their roots were Visa versus Mastercard, but not sure; in any case, they are n ot totally compatible and many cards will only work in one or the other network. Plus tends to be scarcer to finds, and their banks tend not to recognize the other network's. Not sure if it cuts the other way as well, since my card is not on Plus...

In any case, the ATM at the airport is in fact an OTP branded ATM, so if a card does not work there i would look for a Plus branded atm: http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not all rosy with ATM's in the Airport

Definitely alert your bank that you will be traveling out of the country before you go. I learned this the hard way.

I travel internationally a lot, and spent years in Budapest along with many visits - all using the bank account I still have now. So you'd think that withdrawing money at the BUD airport would not fall out of the bounds of "normal" for my account. But they still blocked my account when I tried to withdraw money at the airport ATM. Unfortunately (though it probably makes sense for security reasons when someone actually DOES steal your card) the message doesn't tell you why you can't get funds. I assumed the ATM just ran out after all the arrivals on my flight, but found a downtown ATM wouldn't give me money either and finally had to call the bank.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
12,451 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not all rosy with ATM's in the Airport

Article in Daily Mail today. Person writing to paper said, " her Nat West card did not work in Dubai despite informing the Bank she was going there". The paper investigated her complaint and it appears to be a worldwide block on using Nat West cards abroad as a fraudulant protection. This is despite the bank boasting their card can be used worldwide.The bank admitted that they kept no records of people going into the bank to forming them, so it would be a waste of time even if you did. So take their number before you go and some cash, you might need it.

budapest
Level Contributor
449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Not all rosy with ATM's in the Airport

Hi,

in this specific case it looks like you got the error message that explained the reason, i.e. the home bank did not authorize the transaction. There can be also sometimes issues with cards that have microchip etc but this one seems clear.

It is actually common practice for most (if not all) credit card companies to monitor your card usage and to try to predict if the card is used in places that are not usual. The higher your credit limit, the more likely it is that you need to inform them in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not all rosy with ATM's in the Airport

I always bring dollars when I travel overseas for this very reason....whenever we go to Hungary, we also go to Romania, which is considered one of the highest originators of fraud in the world. Despite me calling my credit/debit card issuers, my transactions get declined every now and then, causing my card to be completely locked out.

Because of this, I keep a skype account on the ready to call my local bank and get it unlocked.

In addition to the dollars I can convert to local currency, I have multiple credit/debit cards which I can use.

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not all rosy with ATM's in the Airport

I guess I got lucky using the ATM in the arrival (luggage carousel) hall. I also did what John had said, so no problem there. Always a little apprehensive on the first foreign city that I arrived at even though I've called the bank in at advance not to block usage (I told them what countries and between what dates and also have collect numbers to call in case of problems).

Also at the Zona cab stand outside the airport they also accept credit card use (for those who need forints like I do to pay cab mainly) that was comforting to know. If in the event I couldn't get forints at airport at least I can wait till getting to town and have more bank options.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not all rosy with ATM's in the Airport

It's always advisable to let your bank know where & when you are travelling. It's not just Europe... The banks tend to block the cards. Had the same problem in Canada until I called them to let them know...