We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get from the Gellert to The Keleti Station at 9am?

Queens Village, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
How do I get from the Gellert to The Keleti Station at 9am?

How do I get from the Gellert to The Keleti Station at 9am? Whats the easiest way?

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,958 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get from the Gellert to The Keleti Station at 9am?

slowly, very slowly

that's rush hour into the city and with the Margaret Bridge out, the pressure on the other bridges is substantial, so I'd avoid automotive solutions, probably including taxis

i'd take the 47/49 tram, which stops in front of the Gellert and ends at Deak ter, to Deak ter and then take the Red Metro at Deak ter in the direction of Ors Vezer ter three stops to Keleti; i'd give myself an hour before the train's departure, or perhaps a bit more, though it should only take about 30 minutes once you set foot on the tram

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get from the Gellert to The Keleti Station at 9am?

I'd take bus 7 or 173 which go directly to Keleti. That 1 hour should be more than enough with this option too and you don't need to change lines (carrying luggage, I suppose)

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get from the Gellert to The Keleti Station at 9am?

I agree with coquebp. #7 bus is direct, and will 'land' you right in front of Keleti. If you've not been to Kelti, it might not be a bad idea to go there the day before to locate what platform you'll be leaving from.

Where are you going from Keleti? If it's Vienna, you might instead take the 47/49 tram in front of the Gellert - heading south to Kelenfold and catch your train there.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,958 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get from the Gellert to The Keleti Station at 9am?

on reflection, i tend to agree that the direct bus is probably simpler than the transfer at deak ter, but this may be a good time to note that streets throughout the center city have been torn up for quite some time, and that one of the major traffic-bearing bridges has been closed for more than two years now (for most of that it was the Szabadsag ter Bridge, now reopened; now it's the Margaret Bridge)

the result is the potential for massive traffic backups throughout the city at random times and without much predictability, especially during rush hour

when that happens, efficiency in getting from place to place (perhaps not the most important tourist criterion - walking is almost always the best way to get around this most eminently walkable city) descends as follows:

Metros are fastest; they are, simply, not in the traffic at all and run frequently

Trams have their own tracks and are immune to traffic jams except at intersections. Intersections slow them down at times, so they are not as fast as Metros on the same route, but they do cut through pretty well.

Buses have their own lanes on major streets, but these are not always respected. In general, they are the form of public transit most affected by traffic.

Taxis are permitted to use bus lanes, and they don't have tp stop every couple of blocks, but if they are using a bus lane and the bus in front of them stops they have little choice but to do so as well. The result can be high fares and slow travel if you are in the center city in the middle of the business day.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,074 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get from the Gellert to The Keleti Station at 9am?

Having driven over Szabadszg Hid twice in the last fortnight, I would go with the bus, easier.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get from the Gellert to The Keleti Station at 9am?

Enjoy Gellert Bath until the Metro 4 get ready and it will be the easiest :)

7. Re: How do I get from the Gellert to The Keleti Station at 9am?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2010, 05:16