We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Budapest atm - suggestions please!

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
In Budapest atm - suggestions please!

Day 2 of our 5 night stay. So far have been to see Madame Butterfly at the Opera house, We also went on the HOHO orange bus yesterday which was a great way of seeing the city to begin with. Today we are walking around - to all the places we liked the look of yesterday. Had a delicious meal at Krizia last night, after having a quick drink in the very lively Scottish pub over the road. Tonight it's the Ramen place!

Just wondered if anyone could suggest a reasonably priced Hungarian restaurant fairly near our hotel (the K & K) for another evening?

Also, we thought it would be fun to go off to another town tomorrow (Sun) but not sure where to go. I liked the sound of Lake Balaton but weather not that great, so presume it might not look it's best. We don't have a car but are happy to take the train. Not that interested in wine tasting (although I do love a glass or two of Sauvignon!) but any other suggestions most welcome.

Thanks so much.

Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Budapest atm - suggestions please!

Can't help with the restaurant but Eger would be a good choice of town to visit. Train takes just over 2 hours as does the express bus from the Stadion bus depot. The town centre is really compact, ideal if on a fairly tight schedule but plenty to see and do.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,856 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Budapest atm - suggestions please!

you can't throw a brick without hitting a decent restaurant as you exit the hotel...

my favorite nearby is Cafe Bouchon, but Klassz is a great wine bar with excellent food owned by the Wine Society (no reservations accepted); Ket Szerecsen is a wonderful place very nearby on Nagymezo, with relatively little mention on these boards, people adore Menza for reasons known only to them (i find it just ho hum); prices range in these restaurants, but all have online menus so you can assess whether they are within your price category. Many places are closed Sunday, so check first.

budapest
Level Contributor
449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: In Budapest atm - suggestions please!

Hi,

you could also think about visiting the Pálinka- és Kolbászfesztivál, which is at the castle. Please see http://www.festival.hu/?base=3.

Personally i very much like Bacardi Original Bar as well as Tom George Italiano which are at the basilica as well as either Cafe Deryne or Mini which are a bit further away but worth seeing as they are very trendy. Symbol etterem (www.symbolbudapest.hu) is also great place for both eating and having a night out (there will be live music in the evening).

Budapest design week has lot of events (designhet.hu) as well as Budapest autumn festival http://www.bof.hu/2009/. Szentendre is not that far away and pretty nice serbian town, a bit touristy but still.

4. Re: In Budapest atm - suggestions please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2010, 05:18