We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Understanding train website and fares

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
985 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Understanding train website and fares

I'm checking the schedules and fares on the MAV website for a train from Budapest to Prague. On the schedule, some of these trains listed say "compulsory supplement". I can't find any explanation on the website of what this means.

Is there a way to find out what this "compulsory supplement" is?

Thanks.

talendon
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Understanding train website and fares

Hi, it is nothing special.

In Hungary, you have to pay for compulsory supplement or compulsory seat reservation if you use an IC or EC.

It means, that you have a simple ticket, which you can use the simple trains and you get an other (plus) ticket, if you want to use an IC or EC.

In the case of "compulsory seat reservation" you will have a numbered seat on the train.

In the case of "compulsory supplement" you must have an "extra ticket" (i think 2 or 3 euros).

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
985 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Understanding train website and fares

Hi, Talendon....thank you so much for giving me this explanation. It was very helpful.

3. Re: Understanding train website and fares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 06:17