We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buda or Pest Hotels...one city side better for touring, etc.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
608 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Buda or Pest Hotels...one city side better for touring, etc.

Right now, we are considering a stay at either the Gerloczy or K&K Opera Hotels. But we would like to insure that we are staying in a good part of Budapest for touring (walking or using public transportation), dining, and some nightlife (more a bar/lounge/pub atmosphere than disco). Is there an advantage to one side of the city versus the other and other hotels in a similar price range that you would suggest? We are trying to avoid American chains like Marriott, Intercontinental, etc. to get a more local feel.

White Umbrella Tours Budapest
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Budapest Bike Breeze
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
My Personal Budapest
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Budapest TukTuk
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buda or Pest Hotels...one city side better for touring, etc.

Most of us regulars agree that, while there are many good sights and some good reasons to stay in Buda, Pest is the way to go. K&K is also a big favorite and reasonably priced.

Budapest is much more spread out than many other popular tourist destinations and it's easily walkable with great public transport, so there's no real wrong place to stay. You might want to read through the posts referenced in the Top Question "How do I choose the right hotel/apartment/area that is central and convenient?" for more info, but I'd say K&K is the right choice.

Edited: 15 March 2010, 22:09
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,105 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buda or Pest Hotels...one city side better for touring, etc.

Both the area around the K&K and the area around the Gerloczy are wonderful areas in which to stay, with different personalities but both are well within the area that anyone would consider 'central' -- the Gerloczy is basically at the very center of the Belvaros or Center City and in fact is adjacent to Budapest City Hall. The K&K is in the midst of the arts and shopping area around Andfrassy ut, which includes the Opera, the Operetta Theatre, and the Liszt Music Academy (and manyn of the cities best restaurants and most upscale shops). As Nyuszin says, Budapest is decentralized but what may be less clear when one looks at a map is that it's not all that far from end to mend or side to side (about 2 miles from beyond Parliament at the north to the Central Market at the south, for instance).

Both hotels have their fans (and some few less-than-fans), but for me the Gerloczy is special. It has only 18 rooms and a warm and welcoming staff attentive to each of their guests. An extension of one of the best low key small restaurants in Budapest, the hotel is tasteful and respectful of the building it is in and the period it evokes.I'm not sure I can think of a comparable hotel in a world capital city, comparably located at the city's very center, and yet so peaceful and calm. While my wife and I rent out a small group of apartments to guests, apartments are not to everyone's taste or consistent with everyone's travel style, and we always recommend the Gerloczy as the top of our list of hotels for those who are looking for something non-corporate and non-American in style.

Recently, others have praised a new hotel -- the Palazzo Zichy -- and I have toured it and like its neighborhood very much, but it is by no means as central as either of these two, and I personally don't like the starkly modern decor of the rooms (the common spaces of the hotel are renovated in a very respectful and appealing manner on the other hand. There are also a couple of small hotels recently opened, including The Zara near Vaci utca, but these also do not really compete with the ones you are considering.

3. Re: Buda or Pest Hotels...one city side better for touring, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 07:17