We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I go to Keleti to reserve a seat to Vienna tomorrow?

Canberra
Level Contributor
63 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Should I go to Keleti to reserve a seat to Vienna tomorrow?

I am travelling to Vienna by train in the evening tomorrow (Tuesday). I tried to reserve a ticket on Mav.hu but I can't seem to select the journey. Is it necessary for me to go to the station early tomorrow to guarantee a seat? Thanks.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I go to Keleti to reserve a seat to Vienna tomorrow?

You can't buy these tickets on-line, and the sooner you get to the station (ideally a couple of days before) the more chance there is of picking up a discounted €13 ticket. Whatever, you have to buy the ticket at the station.

Canberra
Level Contributor
63 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I go to Keleti to reserve a seat to Vienna tomorrow?

Thanks. I will get to the station early.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
380 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I go to Keleti to reserve a seat to Vienna tomorrow?

Hi Melvynator (and fellow Canberran!)

Could you advise if you had any delays or problems in buying your ticket-and did you need to have florints to do so? We plan to pick up our ticket for our subsequent trip to Salzburg after we arrive in Budapest on the train from Vienna.

Regards

ctrunfree

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,025 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I go to Keleti to reserve a seat to Vienna tomorrow?

Do the people working the windows at the train station speak English?

What is the amount if you get the tickets the day you are traveling?

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
989 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I go to Keleti to reserve a seat to Vienna tomorrow?

You don't need to go to the station to buy the tickets. You can buy them at the Mav-Start ticket office on Joseph Attila Street, the north side of Erzebet Ter...right across the street from the park. (But they are closed on Sat. and Sun.)

When you walk in the door there is a machine on your left. You push the button to say if you want to buy domestic tickets or international tickets. It will give you a paper telling you what window to go to.

We went on a Friday afternoon at 3 PM. There was no line at that time.

Not knowing if the ticket clerk would speak English, I wrote down all the information on a piece of paper: date; time; destination; 2nd class; 2 seats.

I passed the clerk the paper and she broke out into a big smile. She answered me in perfect English and even offered some helpful suggestions.

Hope this info gets to you before you trek all the way to the station which is pretty seedy.

Have a great trip.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I go to Keleti to reserve a seat to Vienna tomorrow?

Good information there - I meant to say 'whatever, you have to buy the ticket in Budapest' rather than 'at the station' :)

jfd
west hills, ca
Level Contributor
357 posts
577 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I go to Keleti to reserve a seat to Vienna tomorrow?

is keleti the only train station that sells that ticket?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I go to Keleti to reserve a seat to Vienna tomorrow?

I think you can buy this ticket at any station in Hungary that has an international desk ... or the aforementioned city centre office.

9. Re: Should I go to Keleti to reserve a seat to Vienna tomorrow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2010, 05:18