We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toxic Spill State of Emergency

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, World Cup, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Toxic Spill State of Emergency

Just heard there was a major toxic leak in Hungary

baltimoresun.com/news/…6571345.story

abcnews.go.com/Health/wirestory…

Is it safe to travel I am heading there next week not sure now if I should proceed

Any word

Edited: 05 October 2010, 22:48
budamath
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Toxic Spill State of Emergency

Since the spill happened quite far away, there's no good reason not to go to Budapest. However, it is definitely a good idea to stay away from the area of the spill, which is just north of Lake Balaton.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toxic Spill State of Emergency

Better look for more credible newssource next time, its like a tabloid:

"This week's spill threatened to eclipse the environmental damage caused 10 years ago, when huge amounts of cyanide poured from a gold mine reservoir in a Romanian town near the Hungarian border into the Danube and four smaller rivers, destroying plant and animal life. Romania, what was then Yugoslavia and Ukraine also were affected."

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, World Cup, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toxic Spill State of Emergency

Budamath "thank you"

Really Rawlee?

"The flood of caustic red mud triggered a state of emergency declaration by Hungarian officials. At least four people were killed, six were missing and 120 injured, many with burns."

"Environmental Affairs State Secretary Zoltan Illes told the state news wire MTI. He called the spill an "ecological catastrophe."

Budapest
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Toxic Spill State of Emergency

I would play it safe and avoid Europe all togeather if i were you.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Toxic Spill State of Emergency

Yes, it is a tabloid level. First, that catastrophe hit the Tisza, not the Danube, and Yugoslavia is gone for 2 decades. the source wasnt near to our border, and the Ukraine wasnt really involved, as the Tisza only borders them. And you ate it completely, because instead of looking up the location on a map, you instantly assumed the entire Carpahian basin is now a disaster zone.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toxic Spill State of Emergency

R3van

Thank you for your advise

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toxic Spill State of Emergency

Let me say how sad I am at the terriblle occurrances of the last few days.

My best wishes go out to all those effected or to be effected in the coming weeks. They are in mine and my families prayers.

I was coming to Budapest to speak at your world class and prestigious Semmelweis medical university, but after being told outright to avoid coming by a member on TA, I contacted the university.

They were gratious and explained that at this point in time they felt it was completely safe but understood my hesitance since being told outright by a TA member.

Here is the thing that I may miss most about not being able to make my lecture I have found the Hungarian people who I interacted with to be realy nice and good hearted, I would of enjoyed having the chance to experience more of that. And to see what appears to be one of the worlds most beautiful cities.

The best example I can give of this unique nature would be when I offered to pay for the round trip ticket they sent and the suite at the Corinthia Grand hotel the university representative would not hear of it, but asked if at a later date we would be able to work out a schedule. To which I gladly agreed. (What a classy orginazation)

Again my families best hopes and wishes are with all the people of Hungary at this very difficult time you are all going through.

Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Toxic Spill State of Emergency

I think it's a bit extreme to say "avoid Europe altogether". It's only in Hungary, yes it's just outside the capital city but just be vigilant. I still plan on spending new years there by which time I'd like to think everything would be back to normal.

Just be safe, be aware and you'll be fine. That's the best advice I think anyone could give.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Toxic Spill State of Emergency

How can you take an "advise" like that seriously?

R3van, you should be more careful as obviously some people have no sense of humour at all...

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Toxic Spill State of Emergency

The Danube until now has proven its superiority to the chemicals, it has simply absorbed the pH, which has only risen from the normal 7.5 to 8 (Marcal river was at pH 12). No sign fo dead flora or fauna in it.

Edited: 08 October 2010, 08:29