We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do and worth spending the night

Delaware
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
what to do and worth spending the night

we will be traveling to budapest in early june and were wondering what the best places are to see and if it can be done in a day or if we should plan to spend the night. any information would be greatly appreciated!

London, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do and worth spending the night

Spend a day and you won't even scratch the surface!!

Depends what your interests are of course but this is quite a large city (pop. around 2 million) and is full of wonderful buildings, cafes, restaurants etc. etc. A major cultural centre as well, it has just about everything you would expect to find in a large city. If you are not impressed then you shouldn't travel to European cities.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do and worth spending the night

Been going for 32 years, ain't seen a tenth of it.

If for nothing else you need to spend time in the city to eat the wonderfull food.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
469 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do and worth spending the night

Our first trip to Budapest was scheduled for four nights and we ended up staying a week. Our second visit was for a month and we left feeling that we needed to come back to see everything else...

Since your plans are to visit several cities in central europe perhaps a couple guidebooks would be a good starting point for the most effective use of your time. Get a good overview of what's available then come back to TA and the forums with specifics. Good luck with your planning!

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,091 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do and worth spending the night

actually, this is a pretty difficult question to answer

surely Budapest can be done in a day, but so can London if one is of a mind to do so, or NYC for that matter ... that's the entire premise of HopOnHopOff buses and, for some, they are spot on

because that is so alien both to how i travel, and to the ways in which budapest most shines, i have a hard time imagining how to assess what might possibly be worth an overnight...all i can think of is that when travel becomes a road rally or a scavenger hunt, volume is everything ... touch as many bases as you can in the time you have available and bring back the trophies to prove it

while that's not my approach, i'm not denigrating it at all; the truth is that it's probably a great way to figure out which places really speak to you and call out for a longer return visit ... because of my style of travel there are so many places i have never gotten to and likely never will ... i am actually a sort of anti-traveler, an accidental tourist like the character in the Ann Tyler novel -- i go places pretty much for the purpose of learning to be at home in them, so that wherever i find myself it will always have the feeling of sitting in the comfortable old, slightly tattered, chair in m,y living room

bottom line: if you want meaningful answers to your question, give us the names of 10 cities you've visited and the number of days that now, in hindsight, you'd allocate to each

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do and worth spending the night

With the strict meaning of the word "see", you can see all the sights in a day...throught the window of a car or a bus. But just enter 1 museum, or walk in the caste, and something will be left out from the list.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do and worth spending the night

We just got back from 8 days in Budapest and I feel like we left off so much! I think a day or two and use of the hop on off bus would give you a view of the major sites. This city was much bigger than we expected and most of our tours of the different areas...literally took all day. Things are spread out! We walked at least 8 miles a day AND used public transportation! On a good note....I lost 5 pounds! Ha! What an amazing place! Don't miss it....even if you only have a day or two!

7. Re: what to do and worth spending the night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2011, 05:18