We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or Fly from Budapest to Paris

Perth
Level Contributor
169 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Train or Fly from Budapest to Paris

Hi a group of friends are looking at a river cruise from Prague to Budapest but want to go to Paris after. Does anyone know what the train trip from Budapest to Paris is like and is there any changes in train along the route, cost, time etc? Or would it be preferable to fly? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Lyn

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or Fly from Budapest to Paris

If I were you, I'd consider flying.

While the train will possibly be cheaper, you will need to go via Prague, Vienna, Venice, Berlin or Munich and it will take more than 12 hours - probably close to 18 hours. There are no direct trains between Budapest and Paris.

If you fly with either Malev or Air France, you will be looking at 2 hours flying time plus airport transfers and waiting time.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
talendon
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or Fly from Budapest to Paris

Hi,

"A group of friends are looking at a river cruise from Prague to Budapest"

It is impossible, because Prague is situated on the Vltava River, in Budapest is the Danube River.

From Budapest to Paris I'd prefer the flying

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Danube River
Danube River
10,325 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
471 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or Fly from Budapest to Paris

The train will be a long haul for not much, if any, cost savings. To take a look too at Easy Jet as they have direct flights from Budapest into Orly at Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Perth
Level Contributor
169 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or Fly from Budapest to Paris

Thank you for your advice - it is much appreciated. I am aware that Prague is not on the river we would be coached down to where the ferry leaves from to travel down to Budapest. Will check out flights.

Regards Lyn

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
5. Re: Train or Fly from Budapest to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2011, 05:17